Shallow Switch Box? Mount Surface Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-25 21:18:09 - last edited 2021-04-27 17:23:48
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This is a really common issue, especially when trying to install multiple Smart Switches into a relatively shallow switch box and worst case when you have a triple gang box to accommodate (with all the wiring for three separate switches plus the added depth of three Smart Switches, even a deep box can be a challenge!)  

Here is a fairly simple way to extend your available depth, without having to replace the box. This gives you an additional 5/8" depth 

(these are not my images, they are pulled from the Amazon Listing) 

3 gang switch box extender

I believe they also make a 2-way, although the 3-way can also be converted by just removing the centre section

Yes, it is not inexpensive but does give a simple bolt-on solution which is obviously much less labour-intensive than removing the original back box and installing an old-work deep box in its place. 5/8" gives a good bit of extra space, while not looking too overly protruding.  

I think it's a quite attractive solution for what it provides and certainly affords the flexibility to utilize multiple Kasa Switches that might otherwise be prohibitive. 

Personally I think this style, where the extension is slightly bigger than the cover plate gives a more pleasing aesthetic than the Levition surface mount boxes which are significantly deeper and also have the cover plate slightly overhang (which does not look good IMO!) 

3 gang Old Work box is the alternative if you have the time and skills to execute - this would be my personal choice and I have indeed utilized this type of replacement for a 2-gang location - it involves removing the original 'new' work box which would have been most likely nailed to the stud - that of course retains a std flush mount switch cover plate.   

If anyone has other solutions, please post your replies with suggestions for the community. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Shallow Switch Box? Mount Surface Extender
2021-04-25 21:49:04

This looks like a good single gang one 

Single Gang Switch box Extender

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-14 06:00:13

Are are costly then how much , Can I order them online ? how to break up a long term relationship

Options
2021-05-14 06:24:15

@maxinehines The Amazon link was right above the first image 

Unfortunately currently shows unavailable at this time - I did a quick search and can't find another source. 

That's too bad - I think the market could use that simple screw-on product with the space requirement of the Smart Switches in shallow back boxes. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4224

Replies: 3