1 HS200 for 3 gang box

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

1 HS200 for 3 gang box

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
1 HS200 for 3 gang box
1 HS200 for 3 gang box
2021-05-09 05:37:38 - last edited 2021-05-09 05:40:22
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I had recently replaced an old timer light switch with a HS200 smart switch in a 3 gang box.

After installing the smart switch, the light switch turned on and showed the wifi sign and I was able to set up my account. However, when I had tried turning on the light switches, none of the 3 lights turned on. And strangely, the other light switches in that same hallway stopped working too and will not turn on.

Below was my observation and process when replacing my timer switch with the 1 smart switch:

1) All 3 light switches had 2 black wires connected to them. The white wires were all twisted together and capped off. The copper wired were also twisted together and capped off.

I noticed that for the 2 black wires for the other 2 light switches (did not touch them, only touched the timer connection), they were also connected to a white and copper wire and had been taped together in some tape or tubelike structure as it ran into the wall. But the timer switch in the middle was not connected to a white and copper wire.

2) After removing the timer switch from the 2 connected black wires, I had connected those 2 black wires to the HS200 live/load wires. I then untwisted a copper wire and white wire from their clusters and connected the white to neutral and copper to ground. Then I re-capped the white wires and copper wires as they originally were

I am not sure where I could have went wrong. I assume it was because I did not completely untwist the copper wire and just left hanging off the cluster as I capped it to the HS200 unit.

I will appreciate any help!

Options
2 Reply
Re:1 HS200 for 3 gang box
2021-05-10 01:05:22

Greg111 wrote

Hi,

I am not sure where I could have went wrong. I assume it was because I did not completely untwist the copper wire and just left hanging off the cluster as I capped it to the HS200 unit.

@Greg111 I'm not quite clear on what you are describing in this part - what are you calling a 'cluster' - you mean a wire-nut? 
And what do you mean by just left hanging off the cluster? 

Can you possibly attach a pic with all three switches pulled out of the box so we can see exactly how your wires look? 

My concern however is that you appear to be using the Neutral from the wiring to the other switches circuits - unless that comes off the same circuit breaker you should really not mix neutrals - when you turned off the breaker to install that switch, did all three switches in that 3-gang box become un-powered? Or just the one you were working on? 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
Re:1 HS200 for 3 gang box
2021-05-10 01:50:33

@Bethel.8009 

hi, thank you for responding. For clusters, i meant that multiple white wires (neutral) or multiple copper wires (ground) were twisted together and capped off.

As for a picture, unfortunately I do not have one at the moment but I had made sure that the neutral was connected correctly. 

And when I had turned off the power, installed smart switch, the other two light switches in the 3 gang box would not turn on. The smart switch activated and I was able to set it up on my phone, but it also was not able to turn on the light associated with it. Also, there were other light switches in my hallway that had also gone out and will not turn on after I had finished installing it.

Hope this helps paint a better picture

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 929

Replies: 2