Switch not working with Home Assistant

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-12 00:21:55

I bought two of these switches on amazon and they aren't working with Home Assistant or their kasa-python drivers.  They seem to work with the cell phone app, but I need it to operate with Home Assistant and with No cell phone and NO cloud.

I heard that tp-link has pushed firmware designed to prevent Home Assistant from working.  I want to know if there is a previous version of the firmware that can be flashed so that they will work properly.

If not, how do I return these?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Switch not working with Home Assistant
2021-05-12 06:26:50

@n4mwd I'm not a HA user personally but found this 

The forum will not let me post link directly, but just type the URL in directly from the image below (then you can use the hyperlinks within the alert itself for further info on the blog post) 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-12 12:46:26

Bethel.8009 wrote

@n4mwd I'm not a HA user personally but found this 

The forum will not let me post link directly, but just type the URL in directly from the image below (then you can use the hyperlinks within the alert itself for further info on the blog post) 

@Bethel.8009  Thanks for the reply.  However, when I went there, it just takes me to a blank screen.  I was able to get to the main website, but when I clicked Alerts at the bottom, it takes me to the same blank screen.  Frankly, I don't like the way tplink does business.  These will definitely be the last tplink products I ever buy.  Not letting you post a link to the fix says it all.  I will likely just trash them and buy something else with an open protocol.  I have learned my lesson.

Options
2021-05-12 15:50:51

@n4mwd 

n4mwd wrote...  when I went there, it just takes me to a blank screen. ...   

.... Not letting you post a link to the fix says it all.  ...

Please check that you entered the URL correctly - it definitely leads to the specific HA Alert and I could also successfully navigate to the the Blog where there is specific detail on how to get the firmware. So you must have entered it incorrectly. 

As for blocking the link, this restriction is not specific to blocking this particular solution - this forum is quite restrictive on posting external links in general so I do not believe they are deliberately preventing this specific solution. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-12 23:38:40

Bethel.8009 wrote

@n4mwd 

n4mwd wrote...  when I went there, it just takes me to a blank screen. ...   

.... Not letting you post a link to the fix says it all.  ...

Please check that you entered the URL correctly - it definitely leads to the specific HA Alert and I could also successfully navigate to the the Blog where there is specific detail on how to get the firmware. So you must have entered it incorrectly. 

As for blocking the link, this restriction is not specific to blocking this particular solution - this forum is quite restrictive on posting external links in general so I do not believe they are deliberately preventing this specific solution.

@Bethel.8009 I did go to the correct home-assistant website.  They seem to be having a problem with their web page in that it displays a blank page.  I use firefox here. I tried it on my cell phone, which uses chrome, and it worked fine.

Anyhow, it said to PM the user TP-LINK here and ask for the beta version of the software.  I will try that.

Options
2021-05-13 13:03:28

@Bethel.8009 

I did receive a response from the TP-LINK user here and he said the replacement firmware was only available for the HS100(UK) and HS110(UK) and not the HS200(US) that I have.  He was unaware that the HS200 had the bad firmware.  I can say for a fact that the firmware in these switches came from the factory and was not pushed.  I know this because they didn't work right before I actually connected them to the internet.  So far, they only work with the tplink app and nothing useful.

The hardware version of these switches is 5.8.

Since it doesn't look like a proper firmware release is coming, I will play with these a little more, after that, if they still don't work right, they go in the trash can.  From now on, if it isn't esphome compatible, I don't buy it.

Options
2021-05-13 17:13:05 - last edited 2021-05-13 17:18:11

@n4mwd Maybe ask the question on the HA forum if those switches are affected to get confirmation? 

I just found there is a duscussion thread right here on this subject 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/237614?page=1

Options
2021-05-13 17:20:50

@Bethel.8009 

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me with this, but I have given up on them and they are in the trash. I did the math and leaving the light on 24/7 will only cost $5/month - so fighting with tplink over $5/month isn't worth my time.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1545

Replies: 7

Related Articles