4way Kasa switch with Leviton

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-16 18:59:10

Hi there,

I am new to this platform and just getting into the whole smart home switching. 
We are getting our electrical done and wanted to see if I can get some information on how I can achieve the home automation I am trying to go for. 
our living dining area currently has 4 toggle switches (living area lights/fan/ dining area light and passage light). The living and passage lights are controlled by 3 switches so they are 4 way I assume. 
I was hoping to convert this into an automated system and use Kasa switches with dimmers on them. I am hoping this will work but if doesn't someone please let me know how it can be done:

Was planning on going with 4 way paddle switches at the two locations but swap out the third one to a Kasa 3way switch. Will I be able to operate like this and will I be able to operate it through Alexa? Or would I need to put multiple Kasa 3way switches at all the locations? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:4way Kasa switch with Leviton
2021-05-16 19:40:16 - last edited 2021-05-16 19:41:43

@Flatline21 

You can't do dimmer 3 (or 4) way with Kasa currently

See the sticky on turorial for non-dimmer 3 (or 4) way connection

3-way dimmer from Kasa is coming soon, just not on market quite yet

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-16 19:56:25

@Bethel.8009 thanks for the response. So Basically I am trying to see if I can use the Kasa in conjunction with the Leviton Dimmer switch. Not sure if that even works so before I go doing something stupid I wanted to ask. Since Kasa 3 or 4 way doesnt offer dimmer and I need the lights to have 3 points of operation I was thinking may be use Kasa 3 way at the main switch location and then connect that to a dimmer 3 way leviton and both would be connected to a 4 way switch without dimmer. Does that work? 

Options
2021-05-16 20:19:48 - last edited 2021-05-16 20:22:06

@Flatline21 what type of dimmer? Dumb(manual) or Smart (& then wifi or z-wave?)

I believe the dumb dimmer switch can go at the load end - its of questionable value I would suggest if smart control only gives on or off 

And if z-wave (hub required) then you would  be better just using that config for the  circuit

Not sure about the wifi - search on wiring options for that

Regardless of what you use, you typically do not do anything with the centre (4-way) switch

The kasa 3-way dimmer should be out before long, if you can wait a month or so

See the thread on that device for latest update (step to end of thread)

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-16 20:31:09
I was trying to do this once and get the home automation stuff taken care of. But I think there is ways to go before I can integrate this as a system with Alexa. I dont feel like there is enough products out there to do what I want to do with one product without breaking the bank. The dimmer you have asked is a regular DSL06 3way dimmer:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-600-Watt-Single-Pole-3-Way-Universal-Rocker-Slide-Dimmer-White-Light-Almond-R11-DSL06-1TW/206942378 Wonder if it will work
Options
2021-05-16 20:51:56 - last edited 2021-05-16 20:55:36

@Flatline21 Per the manual for that device, it shows a diagram for the Leviton Dimmer connected at the LOAD* end of the circuit - however in the text, it suggests that it can go at either Line or Load end 

IF it is good to go at the LOAD* end, then it WOULD work with an HS210 that is installed at the LINE* End 

*Line end is defined as the box on the circuit with incoming power from breaker; Load end is the box with the output to the light(s) 

Again, I would question the value - sure you will be able to turn the circuit on/off 'smartly'  or from each switch manually but it will only be controlled by dimmer completely manually. 

If you rarely adjust the dimmer setting and just leave it essentially preset at one level predominantly, then fine. 

The 4-way switch is always* going to be the middle switch - so you have Line -> 3-way - > 4-way -> 3-Way -> Load 

*Regardless of whether manual or Smart or Dimming devices 

See the sticky tutorial thread for the wiring of a 4-way 

Once more, I suggest you just wait for the 3-way Dimmer Kasa - https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/157607 - just see the latest posts at the end of the thread (it's a LONG thread) regarding potential release to market 

Options
2021-05-16 20:59:10

@Flatline21 look for message from me 

Options
2021-05-16 21:57:49
Thank you that is super helpful. I might land up waiting for the 3 way as you recommend and swap it out later.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1228

Replies: 7