Reboot and switches and plugs not reconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-29 06:18:01 - last edited 2021-05-30 13:57:21

I have about 10 Kasa smart devices. When I reboot my WiFi router some units will not reconnect. It's entirely random. Restarting does not always fix it. Support said for me to add them back as a new device however I am not willing to go through all 10 each time a storm hits or I need to restart my router. Has anyone found a fix besides start over? Every other device connects to my WiFi without any issues after a reboot. It is only the Kasa devices. If the fix is reset them every time it's better to go ahead and change them to Hue bulbs and GE switches. These all work fine when the WiFi looses power. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Reboot and switches and plugs not reconnecting -Solution
2021-05-29 07:11:10 - last edited 2021-05-30 13:57:21

@4KVIDTECH  try using reserved IP's for these devices (actually a good idea to reserve IP addresses for ALL your Smart Home devices) 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Reboot and switches and plugs not reconnecting -Solution
2021-05-29 07:11:10 - last edited 2021-05-30 13:57:21

@4KVIDTECH  try using reserved IP's for these devices (actually a good idea to reserve IP addresses for ALL your Smart Home devices) 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Reboot and switches and plugs not reconnecting
2021-05-30 13:57:12 - last edited 2021-05-30 13:58:22

@Bethel.8009  Gotcha. I tried that and it seems to be the answer. It makes sense to a degree. Kasa must need to develop a bridge that ties to the MAC Address so they all work if the bridge IP changes. This appears to be the case for other devices that don't have this issue when rebooting. Thank you for the help! 

Options
2021-06-01 05:38:58

Have you made any changes to the router, router location, or router password? spell to break up a relationship

Options
2021-06-01 14:52:18

@nicolewilsom everything else stayed the same. Only reboot of the router due to power loss is all. 

Options
2021-06-10 02:20:14 - last edited 2021-06-10 02:20:54

Ok so this is odd. The reserve stopped working on my current WiFi (A) so I got a cheap WiFi router (B) just for use with these units. I plugged B into A to set it up. Then I checked the Kasa devices and they all started connecting back again. B had only booted up. No changes.

If I unplugged B they lost connection. Plug it back into A and it works again. Very repeatable but I have no clue why having another WiFi plugged in would work unless they are getting IP from its DHCP server. Default settings on B WiFi.

I thought a second DHCP server would have conflicts, not help. Any ideas?

Options
2021-06-10 02:55:23 - last edited 2021-06-10 03:27:46

@4KVIDTECH How exactly did A stop working (what model is your Router?) 

So you are using the second router set up as an access point?

Also - are the devices using the addresses that they were issued originally (on Router A and reserved) or picking up new IP's from the DHCP? 

I'm presuming the latter - and for whatever reason, as you say those reserved addresses in Router A are not being issued to the TPLink devices - however since the MACs have been assigned to those specific IP's, they are not actually being connected (because of whatever is wrong with Router A)  

Can you reserve addresses in Router B? 

Also - what happens if your un-reserve the addresses in A, then let it find new IPs from DHCP? 

It sounds more like the oddity is with Router A - and why it is no longer issuing those reserved IP's - than why the new Router immediately connected them 

p.s. this issue with the DHCP/reserve also sounds related to your original problem as to why you would need to rediscover those devices when your modem was power cycled 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1258

Replies: 6