HS200 install gone wrong?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-30 20:03:34

I have installed many of these single-pole switches and rarely had any issues but today I hit a roadblock. After a tight install in a 2 gang box (only one HS200 and an existing one-way toggle), when I turned the power back on, the switch continually makes a ticking sound and the associated light it is connected to just flashes. I used wire caps on 4 wire connections and thought all were well covered. The neutral was ganged in with a bunch of wires in the back of the box (like always) and the ground had to be looped in the single ground servicing both switches. Line/Load should not back any difference. Is it a possible wiring issue or perhaps a defective switch? Is there a safety concern? 

Thanks. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS200 install gone wrong?
2021-05-30 21:25:00

@Senior_Vagabond 

Problem solved I think. It turned out I had an extra HS200 so I swapped it out to the one I had issues with and it the replacement worked as expected. I guess I got a defective switch. Not sure how I will handle the Amazon return because it was bought as a 3 pak and I do need another one now. indecision

Another installation question though. Because the HS200 has 4 wired connections with pigtails that need connecting do you just lay the pigtail along side of the line/load/neutral and ground (if possible) and then use a wire nut to hold them together or do you first try to pair and twist the connection (much harder) before adding the wire nut? 

Options
Re:HS200 install gone wrong?
2021-06-03 15:41:26

Senior_Vagabond wrote

@Senior_Vagabond 

Another installation question though. Because the HS200 has 4 wired connections with pigtails that need connecting do you just lay the pigtail along side of the line/load/neutral and ground (if possible) and then use a wire nut to hold them together or do you first try to pair and twist the connection (much harder) before adding the wire nut? 

@Senior_Vagabond  The wires should be twisted together - particularly the copper conductors - before applying the wire-nuts. You should not rely on the action of installing the wire nut to securely twist the conductor wires together 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 796

Replies: 2