Multiple Kasa switches and lights frequently disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-02 23:50:58 - last edited 2021-06-04 01:13:27
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.11

I have multiple Kasa devices including dimmer switches (HS220), regular switches (HS200) and smart bulbs (LB130). Everything has been working well either from the app or via Alexa. 

About two weeks ago, I started noticing some switches or bulbs would randomly be offline, or if they were online they would take a long time to activate when prompted. The switches would seemingly restart or reconnect to the wifi at random times judging by the wifi symbol flashing green.

I thought maybe the issue was with Alexa so I removed all the devices from the app and then reconnected but still had an issue.

I then thought perhaps my wifi network being a 2.4 and 5 Ghz dual band was causing issues so created a dedicated 2.4 Ghz network for my smart devices but this did not solve the problem.

I am not having any connectivity problems with any of my other smart devices (Ring, Eufy, August, Alexa, Tuya, geeni, Govee, Mysa, Econet) ONLY with the Kasa devices. No issues with anything else such as PCs, phones, laptops or TVs either. My router is a Asus ZenWiFi AX.

I tried searching online but don't see any other reports of similar behavior.

Any suggestions? I enjoy the Kasa products and do not want to swap everything to a different brand.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple Kasa switches and lights frequently disconnecting-Solution
2021-06-04 00:03:55 - last edited 2021-06-04 01:13:27

@Bethel.8009 

Thanks for the link. I tried assigning a few switches and bulbs reserved IP addresses but this did not seem to help.

I ended up checking the router logs and noticed frequent "Deauthenticated" messages for the mac addresses associated with my Kasa devices. Googling this, I found this has been an issue in the past with Asus routers and one fix is to roll back the router to an older firmware. I rolled back the router to a firmware dated before I started having issues and now my devices seem to be responding as normal.

So it seems the devices were not to blame but my router.

For anyone else with an Asus ZenWifi AX, if you are having issues, try rolling back the firmware.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Multiple Kasa switches and lights frequently disconnecting
2021-06-03 15:38:37
Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
Re:Multiple Kasa switches and lights frequently disconnecting-Solution
2021-06-04 00:03:55 - last edited 2021-06-04 01:13:27

@Bethel.8009 

Thanks for the link. I tried assigning a few switches and bulbs reserved IP addresses but this did not seem to help.

I ended up checking the router logs and noticed frequent "Deauthenticated" messages for the mac addresses associated with my Kasa devices. Googling this, I found this has been an issue in the past with Asus routers and one fix is to roll back the router to an older firmware. I rolled back the router to a firmware dated before I started having issues and now my devices seem to be responding as normal.

So it seems the devices were not to blame but my router.

For anyone else with an Asus ZenWifi AX, if you are having issues, try rolling back the firmware.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1048

Replies: 3