HS210 3 way light turns on from only one side

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-27 23:08:42 - last edited 2021-08-02 20:50:03
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've just installed the HS210 3 way on both sides of my 3 way switch.  I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly, but would always appreciate validation for it.  

I've wired both black wires into the 2 black screws on top.  I've tied together the white wire and ground wires with their own wire nuts and the red wire on the side screw.  

The behavior that I see is that whichever side turns the light/switch off, has to then turn it back on.  For example, if I turn on the switch on switch1, then turn off the light with switch2, switch1 cannot turn the light back on.  Instead, switch2 has to turn on the light.  

Is this expected behavior, or did I miss something in wiring?

Jeff

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS210 3 way light turns on from only one side-Solution
2021-07-29 00:54:46 - last edited 2021-08-02 20:50:03

@jfischerlaunch 

The red wire is almost certainly a traveler wire so you need to connect it to one of the traveler terminals. NOT the side terminal (which is the common) 
Then at one box, one black wire will be the 'line' and the other will be the traveler

At other box, one black will be the load and the other the traveler 

So you next need to identify in each box, which black is the Line (or Load) and which is the Traveler 

Look at the Romex cables coming into the boxes - the traveler Romex (in either box) will have a  red, black, white and ground - so from that Romex you can tell which is the Black Traveler wire; similarly the Line (or Load) Romex will only have black white and ground - so you can tell which black is the Line (or Load, depending which box you're in) vs the Traveler Black  

Once you determine which black is the Line (or Load) then THAT wire will go to the side terminal and the other Black (& the Red) will go to the Two Traveler Terminals

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:HS210 3 way light turns on from only one side
2021-07-28 00:14:29

@jfischerlaunch If the old switch had the Black, red, and white connected to it then you have the HS210 wired wrong.

Before and after picture would be of great help.

Options
Re:HS210 3 way light turns on from only one side-Solution
2021-07-29 00:54:46 - last edited 2021-08-02 20:50:03

@jfischerlaunch 

The red wire is almost certainly a traveler wire so you need to connect it to one of the traveler terminals. NOT the side terminal (which is the common) 
Then at one box, one black wire will be the 'line' and the other will be the traveler

At other box, one black will be the load and the other the traveler 

So you next need to identify in each box, which black is the Line (or Load) and which is the Traveler 

Look at the Romex cables coming into the boxes - the traveler Romex (in either box) will have a  red, black, white and ground - so from that Romex you can tell which is the Black Traveler wire; similarly the Line (or Load) Romex will only have black white and ground - so you can tell which black is the Line (or Load, depending which box you're in) vs the Traveler Black  

Once you determine which black is the Line (or Load) then THAT wire will go to the side terminal and the other Black (& the Red) will go to the Two Traveler Terminals

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-02 20:50:36

@DEcosse 

Huge thank you! your recommended wiring changes were spot on!  Thank you!

Options
2021-08-02 21:00:03

@jfischerlaunch Glad to help and happy it worked out for you! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1535

Replies: 4

Related Articles