installed 3 switches.. strange series of events

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-04 12:28:30
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: unknown (switches aren't active on app)

Hi All,

Wondering if you could please advise. I installed 3 kasa switches on a single circuit yesterday.

First, an HS200 that worked fine. I connected it to the wifi first then turned the circuit back off to work on the next switch.

Then an HS210- also worked fine. Connected to wifi and worked properly.

Last, another HS200. I installed it and it connected to wifi and to the Kasa app. It seemed to work fine at first and I even named it on the app.

But then, within a minute, this last switch lost power and shut off. At the same time, the 3-way switch wouldn't turn off the lights (Neither the HS210 or the dumb 3-way switch). If I flipped the dumb 3-way, it would make the lights flash off for a second but then they stayed on.

Finally, the entire circuit lost power but the circuit breaker didn't trip.

I reset the circuit breaker and nothing. Looked for a GFCI on the circuit and couldn't find any. Not sure what went wrong.

I copied the wiring of the original switches and I'm sure I did it correctly. There are no loose wires. I'm scratching my head on this.

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:installed 3 switches.. strange series of events
2021-08-05 03:30:56

Update: I found the hidden GFCI on the circuit that was tripping the whole thing. Reset it and the issue resolved. Guessing the problem won't recur once I switch out the lights for LEDs but if it does, I can take the GFCI out of the circuit. 

Still curious about why the switches acted the way they did. Especially the 3-way. (The wiring was correct)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 387

Replies: 1