Problem with HS210 3-way switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-04 20:29:49 - last edited 2023-06-30 18:34:18

I have a problem with a second HS210 3-way switch that I have installed. This switch is NOT on the same circuit as the first 3-way switch, it is just in a second location in the house that also has a 3-way switch. The first 3-way works perfectly and is on the same wireless network.

The problem is with the second switch. The schedule I set in the app turns the switch on at the appropriate time but does NOT turn the switch OFF at the scheduled time.

The strange part is that it shows the switch as OFF in the app but the light the switch controls is still on? If I click the actual switch it turns off as expected. If I click the switch in the app, it also turns off the switch but now first shows it as on them turns it off! Also, the runtime for this switch is 0?

Has anyone else seen this type of problem and if so, how can I fix it?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Problem with HS210 3-way switch-Solution
2021-08-05 00:11:35 - last edited 2023-06-30 18:34:18

@TutoneF this is likely because based on your description, it's not wired properly. 

While the 3-way switches can be located anywhere, they have to share a traveler wire. This creates a circuit and the ability for the switches to always have a hot going to them for power. Without that, if you turn switch one off, there's nothing on the second switch physically wired to the first to be able to cycle the load. 

Think of it like a flowing garden hose. Switch one is the spicket knob and the end of the hose is switch 2. If you cut the hose in the middle, there won't be any water coming out the end anymore. With your set up, it doesn't matter if it's on the same network or not. You MIGHT be able to turn it off (cut the hose) but there's no physical way to turn it back on because there's no physical link. Switch one still would be unaffected. 

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Problem with HS210 3-way switch-Solution
2021-08-05 00:11:35 - last edited 2023-06-30 18:34:18

@TutoneF this is likely because based on your description, it's not wired properly. 

While the 3-way switches can be located anywhere, they have to share a traveler wire. This creates a circuit and the ability for the switches to always have a hot going to them for power. Without that, if you turn switch one off, there's nothing on the second switch physically wired to the first to be able to cycle the load. 

Think of it like a flowing garden hose. Switch one is the spicket knob and the end of the hose is switch 2. If you cut the hose in the middle, there won't be any water coming out the end anymore. With your set up, it doesn't matter if it's on the same network or not. You MIGHT be able to turn it off (cut the hose) but there's no physical way to turn it back on because there's no physical link. Switch one still would be unaffected. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 622

Replies: 1

Related Articles