Cannot Reconnect Smart Plugs to Wifi Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-24 21:30:44 - last edited 2021-08-26 19:49:12
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have 2 HS103 smart plugs that have been connected to my 2.4 GHz network but have dropped out for reasons unknown to me.  I did not remove them.  I don't think there has been a power glitch.  They show up with the names I gave them in my iPhone Kasa app under devices but their info is dimmed.

I have unplugged the one I'm working with first, plugged it back in, held the button until I got blue/amber blinking lights indicating - I think - that it is ready to pair with the network.  I go into the iPhone app and cannot find a reconnect procedure nor a delete procedure for these devices (unless, of course, I missed something in the menu sequence).  So, I tried adding it as a new device and got through to the screen showing that it was attempting to connect to the plug.  The iphone was less than 2 feet away from the router and the plug.  After it's time out period, I get the message that it was unable to connect.  Retrying got the same results multiple times.

Can anyone suggest another approach if this one is wrong, as it obviously must be because it doesn't work.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot Reconnect Smart Plugs to Wifi Network-Solution
2021-08-26 18:29:28 - last edited 2021-08-26 19:49:12

OK.

I removed the devices from my iPhone Kasa app.  It showed no devices.  I then clicked the + and chose a smart plug then a mini smart plug.  The Kasa app is open to the 2.4GHz wifi network.  I placed the phone about 10" from the smart plug and hit next.  The iPhone showed the connection in progress with the circling indicator.  After a few minutes I go the iPhone message that it was "Unable to Connecat to the Smart Plug Wi-Fi."  I tried again as suggested.  I unplugged to reset the smart plug.

Nothing is working. 

What do you suggest I do now?  Remember this device was on the network and functioning well until it was dropped, possibly due to a power glitch though there was no evidence of one.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Cannot Reconnect Smart Plugs to Wifi Network
2021-08-24 21:36:33

@ahr_aitch 

There is no reconnect process.  You do have to delete (after reset) and follow the installation process over.  To do this open the Kasa app and on the greyed out icon swipe left.  The delete button will appear and then you can remove the product and go through the setup process once again. 

Options
Re:Cannot Reconnect Smart Plugs to Wifi Network-Solution
2021-08-26 18:29:28 - last edited 2021-08-26 19:49:12

OK.

I removed the devices from my iPhone Kasa app.  It showed no devices.  I then clicked the + and chose a smart plug then a mini smart plug.  The Kasa app is open to the 2.4GHz wifi network.  I placed the phone about 10" from the smart plug and hit next.  The iPhone showed the connection in progress with the circling indicator.  After a few minutes I go the iPhone message that it was "Unable to Connecat to the Smart Plug Wi-Fi."  I tried again as suggested.  I unplugged to reset the smart plug.

Nothing is working. 

What do you suggest I do now?  Remember this device was on the network and functioning well until it was dropped, possibly due to a power glitch though there was no evidence of one.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-30 00:52:54

Knock, knock!

Is this thing on?  Tap, tap, tap, tap!

Anybody out there?

If so, please refer to my previous question and respond.

Options
2021-09-01 01:58:41

I finally figured out how to add my Smart Plug Mini devices.  In the Kasa app on my iPhone I  .  . .  

1)  tapped the Devices icon in the lower left corner of the screen

2)  tapped the plus sign (+) in the upper right corner of the screen

3)  tapped the Device choice when presented with "What would you like to add?"

4)  tapped Smart Plugs on the screen that came up,

5)  tapped Smart Plug Lite/Mini (because that's what I needed to install; your choice may vary)

6)  tapped Next button near bottom of screen that came up

7)  tapped Next button near bottom of screen that came up showing my plug and the blue/amber light flashing (because I had previously made sure the lights were flashing)

at this point I left the install sequence screens and went to Settings > Wi-Fi > Other Networks and selected the Tp-link smart plug network

YOU CANNOT INSTALL A DEVICE WITHOUT SELECTING THE NETWORK IN SETTINGS AS DESCRIBED

8)  tapped the I"m Already Connected link near the bottom of the screen (because I had verified that I was connected to the tp-link network for the device)

9)  waited for the connection to complete.

I then named the device I connected, because I use Alexa to turn it on and off, and chose an appropriate symbol for the device the plug controls.

That's it.

I hope this post helps someone else.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1633

Replies: 4

Related Articles