Wiring installation of KP200 when receptacle is not at "end of line/run."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-14 21:36:55
Model: KP200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Since it's not covered in the KASA installation video and I couldn't find any youtube videos addressing the issue, can anyone provide guidance on installing the KP200 into a receptacle that is not an "end of line" outlet?  -- in other words, what are the installation steps when there are TWO black wires, TWO white wires, and 1 green/copper wire in the outlet that is being replaced (as opposed to the KASA video where there are only 1 black, 1 white, and 1 green wire)?   

Is it as simple as connecting: 1) both of the black wires that were connected to the old outlet (on the BRASS screw side) to the KASA black wire, 2) both of the white wires that were connected to the old outlet (on the SILVER screw side) to the KASA white wire, and lastly 3) the KASA green wire to the green/copper wire on the old outlet? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wiring installation of KP200 when receptacle is not at "end of line/run."
2021-11-24 15:13:39

@j.p.m. 

Hello.  I consulted our engineering team and they mentioned that with extra wires its most likely the outlet powers additional devices, like a switch or another plug.  You should be able to Wire the two black wires together and then the two white wires together, although as we have not encountered such a wiring before we would strongly recommend contacting an professional electrician to ensure no potential damage is done in the installation.  If you do contact an electrician for assistance we would greatly appreciate it if you could provide us the results of their findings.   

Options
Re:Wiring installation of KP200 when receptacle is not at "end of line/run."
2021-11-24 16:36:14

@j.p.m. Did you get this sorted out? I have the same situation and wired as described however I can not get the outlet to connect to my network. I've tried the ezsetup, the AP setup and neither work. I have other kasa devices that work fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1056

Replies: 2

Related Articles