Is kasa and tapo the same?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 15:47:20 - last edited 2022-01-12 19:52:27

With the new ces announcements is kasa being end of service life? 

Major investments in the kasa ecosystem but I don't see any new capabilities coming online and am worried I need to switch? 

Can I buy tapo and manage it from the kasa app? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Is kasa and tapo the same?
2022-01-12 19:54:03

@Berginj 

There is no current plan to end Kasa.  Tapo products annouced will need to be controlled through the Tapo app and will not work with Kasa.  We may work on app intergration in the future but at this time we do not have plans to allow Tapo to be controlled via the Kasa app. 

Options
2022-01-13 03:58:34

@Carl  thanks for the response. You can understand how frustrating it is to wait for a kasa flood light and see you release a tapo one. 

For folks like me I have the cameras, the plugs, the light switches and deco. I already need to use two apps. 

Tapo and this deployment approach erodes your moat and makes me more likely to consider other brands. If there was even talk of convergence it would help? 

Options
2022-01-13 22:55:39

@Berginj 

I do but roadmaps and plans are not generally shared with Support.  This way we are not giving customers information on plans that don't actually happen and are not setting customer expectation for actions that never happen or happen much later than we orginally planned.  An example would be when at CES 2018 we shared plans that the HS105 would support HomeKit   That never happened and it was not a good customer expectation to set.  While I can't say if right now there are plans to intergrate the apps in any way or not I can say that if that information does become available i'd be happy to share it. 

Options
2022-01-13 23:15:26
Thank you so much for the clarity
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 738

Replies: 4

Related Articles