Help - while I still have hair left....

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 01:35:43
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Kasa community,

I recently bought some Kasa hardware to integrate into my HA setup. I started with an HS220 dimmer. I have an existing strong-signal 2.4 GHz WLAN that has other connected devices operating properly (Skybell, Ecobee, etc.). I registered and went through the procedure to pair with the Kasa app to no avail. I went through all of the troubleshooting I could find (dimmer reset, log out/in in app, disconnect/reconnect wifi) with no success.

I'm wondering if there are specific Wifi needs for the Kasa hardware (like legacy support or other settings) that I don't have configured properly at the router. I really hope it's something simple I have overlooked. Any help before my migraine sets in is much appreciated. Cheers.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Help - while I still have hair left....
2022-01-13 18:16:49

@ArrDeeGee , you could make a wall plug dongle (i.e. take an extension chord you don't want, but off the female end, expose the wires, preferably tin them).   Then connect the dongle to the wall switch as you would your in-wall wiring. Then go to an outlet near your WiFi access point and plug the switch into the wall -- DON'T flip the switch -- and now your switch is powered and at a surely strong WiFi signal. If you still have trouble connecting, it's not the WiFi strength.  FWIW, I've never needed to use a dongle like this for WiFi, though I have for a troublesome Zigbee device or two.

AFAIK, there's nothing special about Kasa's WiFi needs. I run two dozen Kasa switches all around my home on 2.4GHz along side a huge ZIgbee mesh (which also runs on the 2.4GHz).  No problems with either system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 238

Replies: 1