Votes

Supervision-free control, API

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-20 22:27:30 - last edited 2022-12-07 18:49:59

Looking for options for my automation setup I stumbled on the Kasa products so I looked deeper into them but there's no mention about offline control in the site anywere other than these "smart" products shouldn't be touched in the event of a temporary disconnection from a datacenter; BTW, things controlling other things using a remote interface, like a touchscreen, voice or a really long cable to break the circuit aren't "smart devices", they're called relays.

Anyway, I downloaded the app to get an idea if offline control where no supervision of what it's done is carried on a datacenter. After figuring out the dark patterns use in the app it seems there might be at least from the mobile device to the relay, using a switch after finding, unlocking, locating the apd, the device in  the app and flicking the control ain't easier than actually operating a switch.

Having to sign up for a service, even if it has no cost to reach behind a firewall isn't a feature, it is an imposition and frankly overstepping. Kasa needs an published well-documented API so users can use their purchase without a permanent connection logging things to server not of which they have no control. Kasa, being non-professionally installed, falls under the DYI umbrella, yet it doesn't let the user do anything by themselves.

There needs to be proper documentation too, a wiki/FAQ-like KB is not proper documentation. and WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise must be implemented otherwise it's a wasted SSID.

I've used TP-Link products for many years now, I trust the brand though on every line at any price point from plastic box devices to the highest end of the stackable JetStream line they have always had some flaw or some gotcha, sometimes it's minor, most often it's a quirk you have to learn to live with bc rarely they receive fixes. This time before buying I thought I should try voicing out what already I don't see working, hopefully for the next revision some of the issues are gone, then I'll have more confidence users are actually heard (with their consent, I mean, not in an analytics-improvements-nonsense-privacywhatsthat fashion) and I won't be adding 50-60th TP-LINK-branded power brick to the storage drawers for these.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Supervision-free control, API
2022-05-10 17:22:04

@vitaprimo I totally agree that local control (same IP network, etc) should be available for the use case of public Internet failure, for whatever reason.

The thing connects to their data center via a REST API anyway so why not make it avaialle locally on the end-point?

Speaking of API, is there an official on-line API these days? Last time I checked there was an unofficial 3rd party API but never TP-Link sanctioned one?

PS. Yes I totally realize there're "partners" like Zapier and IFTTT but I am looking for true API open to the public

Thank you

Boyan

Options
Re:Supervision-free control, API
2022-09-28 00:09:10

@Boyan @vitaprimo,

As far as I am aware, TP-Link does not provide access to their API to control devices; however, this has not stopped many users from using other resources such as the GPL code to find ways to locally control our devices. While we don't officially support any other third-party integrations, you will have to look around open source home automation platforms such as Home Assistant to gain local control over devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 453

Replies: 2

Voters 1