Camera and 5g wireless network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-09 16:45:36

Hi,  would anyone know the best indoor and outdoor camera's that work best on a 5g wireless network? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Camera and 5g wireless network
2022-02-15 19:59:51

@KennyKool 

Hello Kenny,

At this time TP-Link has moved away from cameras that connect to the 5GHz network.  With the compressed data stream there just isn't really a need for it, even with 2K resolution. 2.4GHz gives the camera better range capablities to improve the overall deployment in a network area.  TP-Link may end up releasing new cameras that do connect to 5GHz but at this time we do not have any that are in active production.

Options
2022-02-16 11:37:48

@Carl Thanks for the update.  Since I am not to technical... I have t-link switches and plugs that work on my network that is 5 ghz.  so I was hoping that a camera would also work.

Options
2022-02-16 18:13:34

@KennyKool 

I totally understand.  We did release a few cameras with 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz however, in research we found that it was more of a wasted feature and drove up cost.  A great way to look at the difference between 2.4 and 5GHz is look at a telescoping flashlight.  The narrow beam is brighter and can go further, but only covers a small area.  This is 2.4GHz.  The wide beam covers a greater area but doesn't go as far.  This is 5Ghz.  

2.4GHz is typcially for long range

5GHz is for devices that may require a greater bandwidth. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1396

Replies: 3

Related Articles