Dead End HS200 as remote 3-way?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-20 01:41:10 - last edited 2022-02-22 01:56:32
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a couple circuits with hard-to-reach switches that I'd like to set up with a second set of switches in an easier-to-reach place. The new switches would have access to wall power/neutrals, but won't be wired to any actual lighting circuit. I'm imagining I can do this by wiring up HS200s in each location and just not wiring anything to the load side in the new easy-to-reach location...

Would this work?

Is it overkill, and is there an easier way?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Dead End HS200 as remote 3-way?-Solution
2022-02-22 01:56:23 - last edited 2022-02-22 01:56:32

@OrwellianChild Answering my own question here, but in short: Yes. This is possible. Either I got lucky twice, or the switches can determine Line vs. Load - I just capped the other black wires in the box. Each switch needs to be set up with a Smart Action to control the other switch. Unfortunately, it is telling me there can be only 3 smart actions active at one time. This seems ridiculously small if you wire much of your house with Kasa switches. Anyone know how to work around this 3-action limitation?

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Dead End HS200 as remote 3-way?-Solution
2022-02-22 01:56:23 - last edited 2022-02-22 01:56:32

@OrwellianChild Answering my own question here, but in short: Yes. This is possible. Either I got lucky twice, or the switches can determine Line vs. Load - I just capped the other black wires in the box. Each switch needs to be set up with a Smart Action to control the other switch. Unfortunately, it is telling me there can be only 3 smart actions active at one time. This seems ridiculously small if you wire much of your house with Kasa switches. Anyone know how to work around this 3-action limitation?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 240

Replies: 1

Related Articles