5G Wifi 'Disappeared'

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

5G Wifi 'Disappeared'

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
5G Wifi 'Disappeared'
5G Wifi 'Disappeared'
2022-03-07 22:18:45 - last edited 2022-03-09 02:19:14
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest, just did firmware upgrade today

Problem is that I now have no 5G wifi, only 2.4G? Purchased and installed this router last June, and ran it with no problems for about 9 months---until now. Suddenly lost internet, with red LED on unit. Checked modem and lights were correct, but started troubleshooting: power down router and modem; disconnect ethernet cable and coax into modem, wait a few minutes, reconnect coax and reboot modem, once modem is up, replug ethernet and power up router. Shortly, router is up with correct (green) lights!

Opened Tether app on phone and verified that all seemed correct---and it did. Some of my devices weren't reconnecting automatically, so I looked at devices and found that all the ones that HAD been connected via 5G (Amazon Firestick, Roku, Amazon Fire tablet), no longer had that option. Rescan of available networks on those devices showed ONLY 2.4G (and TP-Link Extender 2.4G). No longer had the option of 5G or TP-Link Extender 5G! Rescanned numerous times, 5G just doesn't show up at all as an option? So, did my power down/unplug/power up/replug steps again, but this time I reset the router (hit recessed button on back).

After reset was complete, using computer, I logged into tplink.wifi.net and verified everything again, everything looks fine, and Network Map shows both 2.4 and 5G are active (lines present between Internet---AX1800---Clients). I checked for ugrades and completed a firmware upgrade, so everything is up to date. But still---no 5G option is available on devices? Everything is working OK on 2.4, but maybe tonight when my wife gets on her computer, Roku, and/or tablet and I'm on my Firestick and tablet at the same time, might be slower? But regardless, 5G should be there!

Can't think of anything I missed or didn't do. Having done the whole power down and up routine, including a reset, I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:5G Wifi 'Disappeared'-Solution
2022-03-08 16:06:30 - last edited 2022-03-09 02:19:14

@Wayne-TP Wayne, thanks for the instructions and comment. I went into the settings and found that the 2.4 was set to "Auto" but that the 5G was set to "157," for some reason? (I hadn't messed with this since I did all that's mentioned in my post, so?) Anyway, I changed per your recommendation and at present I do have 5G shown as an option. I set my Amazon Firestick to use it, it connected OK, and later today when I'm watching the Champions League I'll verify that it stays connected and acts nice.

Thanks for the help, have a good one!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:5G Wifi 'Disappeared'
2022-03-08 07:04:22

Hi @RealisticDave1    

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

It is suggested to change 5G channel and see if it helps:

Please login to tplink.wifi.net and go to Advanced>>Wireless>>Wireless Settings>>make sure Smart Connect is disabled>>change 5G channel to band1(36~48) and click on Save.If 5G is still invisible, I am afraid the 5G wireless module of this device has hardware issue. We recommend reaching out to the local tech support, so they can work with you in looking into the issue further or help with the replacement:

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:5G Wifi 'Disappeared'-Solution
2022-03-08 16:06:30 - last edited 2022-03-09 02:19:14

@Wayne-TP Wayne, thanks for the instructions and comment. I went into the settings and found that the 2.4 was set to "Auto" but that the 5G was set to "157," for some reason? (I hadn't messed with this since I did all that's mentioned in my post, so?) Anyway, I changed per your recommendation and at present I do have 5G shown as an option. I set my Amazon Firestick to use it, it connected OK, and later today when I'm watching the Champions League I'll verify that it stays connected and acts nice.

Thanks for the help, have a good one!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 9

Views: 7304

Replies: 2

Related Articles