Kasa Smart Plug remote control?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-25 02:06:52

Hello! I bought EP10P4 (4-pack) and installed two in my son's house in Illinois thinking that I will be able to access the plugs from remote.  Now I'm in Arizona and when I opened the Kasa app on my iPad, the two devices are not showing on-line.  I have one of the plugs do a scheduled on/off of a table lamp downstairs.  My son says that it is still doing the schedule!  I have the other one control my Raspberry Pi4 so that I can VPN into the RPi-4 when I'm in Arizona.  Unfortunately, I cant power on the Kasa plug for the RPi-4 because the plugs don't show as on-line on my Kasa app!  What will I do?  I really thought that these plugs and the Kasa app are accessible wherever I'm at.  I plan to install the other two plugs here in Arizona, which I will probably wait until I resolve the remote control issue of the two plugs in Illinois.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Plug remote control?
2022-03-25 14:12:08

@firefox111 

Yes one of the features with our smart home lines is the abilty to control devices remotely.  My question is:  Do they show in your Kasa App and greyed out or do they not show at all?  If they show in the app but are greyed out likely the concern is for what ever reason they are not linked to the cloud so remote access isn't possible.  If this is the case you can have your son log into the same Kasa account from his device while he is connected to the same network and go into the device's settings and see if the Remote Control button is available.  If it is all he needs to do is enable it.

If they don't show at all that would mean one of two things.  Either your not logged into the Kasa account their are associated to or the setup wasn't completed.  I would think since they are running schedules locally that the concern is simiply remote control needs to be enable. 

Options
Re:Kasa Smart Plug remote control?
2022-03-25 22:45:26

Carl wrote

@firefox111 

Yes one of the features with our smart home lines is the abilty to control devices remotely.  My question is:  Do they show in your Kasa App and greyed out or do they not show at all?  If they show in the app but are greyed out likely the concern is for what ever reason they are not linked to the cloud so remote access isn't possible.  If this is the case you can have your son log into the same Kasa account from his device while he is connected to the same network and go into the device's settings and see if the Remote Control button is available.  If it is all he needs to do is enable it.

If they don't show at all that would mean one of two things.  Either your not logged into the Kasa account their are associated to or the setup wasn't completed.  I would think since they are running schedules locally that the concern is simiply remote control needs to be enable. 

@Carl 

Thank you. I was on the phone with my son and I walked him through the the steps you had outlined after he installed the Kasa app and logged in to my account.  Even though his iPad is on the same network as the EP10's, the two devices in his house were still greyed out on his app! So it's impossible to go to the device's settings because a popup comes on that says that the device may be powered off or out of range. So we decided to just unplug and plug back in the smart plugs. After the smart plugs re-connected to the network, my Kasa app (in Arizona) showed on-line and on his app, too.  So my issue is solved.  Note that my smartt plug is model EP10 and the Kasa app on our iPads shows Version 2.36.1 Build 997.  So your instruction is probably not appropriate for the EP10 smart plugs.

So my advice for those who may encounter this issue with the EP10's, alll you have to do is to unplug and plug back in the device one by one and they will be available for remote control.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 798

Replies: 2

Related Articles