Kasa Smart Plug in two locations?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-25 02:38:01

Can I possibly install Kasa smart plug mini's in two remote locations and be controlled by the Kasa App?

Thanks in advance.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Plug in two locations?
2022-03-25 14:33:25

@firefox111 

Kasa products can be setup in different homes with in the same account is its not recommended at this time.  The reason being is the the Timezone Sync.  Right now its a global setting so if you sync or manually set the time zone it is applied to all of your devices, regardless where they are at.  As this situation isn't all that common I personally was not aware of this issue until very recently.  In fact I litterally just sent this feedback to the team this week.  What has been suggested is like with Google that users are allowed to setup different "Homes"  so devices can be better seperated and can have their timezones indivdually set by the home and not a global setting.  If we get any feedback or this feature is launched we will make a thread in the Official Annoucements section.

Options
2022-03-25 22:52:24

Carl wrote

@firefox111 

Kasa products can be setup in different homes with in the same account is its not recommended at this time.  The reason being is the the Timezone Sync.  Right now its a global setting so if you sync or manually set the time zone it is applied to all of your devices, regardless where they are at.  As this situation isn't all that common I personally was not aware of this issue until very recently.  In fact I litterally just sent this feedback to the team this week.  What has been suggested is like with Google that users are allowed to setup different "Homes"  so devices can be better seperated and can have their timezones indivdually set by the home and not a global setting.  If we get any feedback or this feature is launched we will make a thread in the Official Annoucements section.

@Carl 

Thanks.  It is very important for me to be able to have two separate locations in the app as I may control my son's smart plug while I'm in Arizona.  And, if I activate the two plugs with me here in Arizona, I should be able to control them separately.

I have Insteon and in the Insteon app, there is "House Management" which I can toggle in the app and each "House" shows the corresponding devices in that house and thus be able to control the devices separately in the app.  I wish there is such a thing in the Kasa app where we can specify two locations and assign devices to a location so devices can be controlled separately depending on which location is chosen.

Thanks anyway.  I will NOT install the two plugs that I have here in Arizona to NOT complicate things in the app with the two plugs that are already in operation in my son's house in Illinois.

Options
2022-04-22 20:15:33

@firefox111 

Well, I created another account just for the second location.  I wish I didn't have to do that.  KASA gods, please enable multiple location in your KASA Smart app.

Note that Insteon is dead/bankrupt!  I will be replacing my Insteon devices with Kasa devices.  AND I have two locations to manage.

Options
2022-04-30 12:50:50
It seems like I'm the only one in this world who needs this functionality in the Kasa Smart app!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1327

Replies: 4

Related Articles