Diff network names, Alexa causing issue with EP10 smart plug

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-03 14:44:42 - last edited 2022-05-03 19:11:20

Hello, I have, in the house main router (Asus-main network in house) which is where Alexa is. I have a TP link AP (sqelrydeck) on the deck that directly plugs into "Asus", 50ft away in another building, Studio, i have a TP link network extender where also the EP10 smart plug resides. the issue is, the EP10 works great with alexa in the house but, once the EP10 is moved to the studio Alexa cannot operate the EP10. is it because i have different network names that Alexa doesnt recognize? does my AP and network extender need to be named the same as main house network(Asus)? Thanks in advance for any help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Diff network names, Alexa causing issue with EP10 smart plug -Solution
2022-05-03 19:07:56 - last edited 2022-05-03 19:11:20

So, set up the smart plug on "studio" network and even though Alexa is in the house on "Asus" network, Alexa will be able to operate the smart plug? My scenerio is:

Im in the house and want to tell Alexa to turn on smartplug in my shop which is on a network extender with a diff ssid.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Diff network names, Alexa causing issue with EP10 smart plug
2022-05-03 18:28:05

@Sqerly 

From what it sounds like, you have two separate networks that your devices switch between depending on their access. Many smart devices require you to attach the device to a specific connection during setup. The name of this network(the SSID) is the network that the plug will always try to connect to. In order to move the plug to the other network you would have to go through the setup process again. 

Alternatively, most devices can bounce between network when they are give the same SSID or name. On many modern phones and devices, the networks will then only appear as one and the device itself will connect to whatever network is faster. This why many people decide on a unified network or a mesh system. 

Options
Re:Diff network names, Alexa causing issue with EP10 smart plug -Solution
2022-05-03 19:07:56 - last edited 2022-05-03 19:11:20

So, set up the smart plug on "studio" network and even though Alexa is in the house on "Asus" network, Alexa will be able to operate the smart plug? My scenerio is:

Im in the house and want to tell Alexa to turn on smartplug in my shop which is on a network extender with a diff ssid.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Diff network names, Alexa causing issue with EP10 smart plug
2022-05-04 22:37:55

@Sqerly 

This should work fine as control of the smart plugs is not 'local' - meaning that the commands sent to the device are sent: Through the network, then through the internet to Amazon, and then finally back to your network and the plug. Controlling devices in this way means that the switch you want to control does not need to be on the same network as the device you are controlling the switch with. This is what allows you to control devices in vacation homes, or from outside your house, like work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 420

Replies: 3