Votes

USB Drive: changing default password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-18 04:42:20 - last edited 2022-05-26 21:55:01
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Trying to use a USB flash drive on my AX11000 router. When trying to configure network access to the drive, the default user and password is admin/admin. I don't see a way to change this default password to something else. Tried looking everywhere through the advance settings but can't find it. Is there no way to change it? Also, don't see a way to add other users. Is there a way to do so?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:USB Drive: changing default password-Solution
2022-05-20 16:41:43 - last edited 2022-05-26 21:55:01

Hi @techie_19,

From my testing on the emulator, it looks as though you are correct in your assumptions. As of now, the USB sharing feature is limited to two users and there is no way in which to limit what user has access to what folders on the share. There is a way in which to limit what folders are seen on the share when using the USB Secure Sharing Feature, which could be useful when using in tandem with the media sharing. 

In order to set up secure profiles for file management, it is recommended that you use a designated file management solution. Recently, many external hard drive makers have been making very simple to set up NAS drives (Network Attached Storage) that connect via Ethernet. This is the type of system that I believe would be best suited for your solution given the application.

As for the password limitations, it would appear that the only way characters that can be used for USB sharing are lowercase/uppercase letters, and numbers. I started counting how long the password could be, but I decided to stop counting after 80 characters, lol. However, someone on the team says that symbols may have been added to the settings in a firmware upgrade, so please ensure that you are fully up-to-date. (psst and let me know if you can use symbols when fully up to date)

I will be passing along the following feedback to the development team about your experience with the feature:

• Ability to Add Users to USB Sharing Feature
  • Ability to Adjust File Viewing Permissions on a Per-User Basis
  • Increase Password Limitations on USB Sharing
    • Clear Instructions Regarding the Requirements
  • Access Control for Files by User Type

Sometimes features that are less often used, such as multiple users with USB sharing, can have features that are often overlooked during the testing and development phases. We have a feature request section where we can keep track of things like this and mark them as progressing. For this reason, I am going to actually move this thread there. Are there any other recommendations that you have regarding the feature, or any settings that you would like to see added beyond the list above?

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:USB Drive: changing default password
2022-05-18 18:26:41 - last edited 2022-05-20 16:43:22

@techie_19 

There should be an option to change the Username and Password under the advanced tab when accessing your router through its Web UI

I have attached an image of where you can find the settings in the interface.    Advanced > USB > 'Secure Sharing' > Modify

Let me know if you don't see this option or are still unable to change the password.

6a349b64db204bad838597cdf34fb74d

Options
Re:USB Drive: changing default password
2022-05-20 08:07:57 - last edited 2022-05-20 16:43:22

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I messed up in my original post. What I actually meant to ask was, when I try to change the password from the default password of "admin" to something more complex, it doesn't allow me. Keeps giving me an error. As if the password I am trying to change it too is too complex. What are the password requirements? Also, if I wanted to give read/write access to some in my LAN by adding a new user, how can I add a user? Or is it just the admin and guest? 

Options
Re:USB Drive: changing default password-Solution
2022-05-20 16:41:43 - last edited 2022-05-26 21:55:01

Hi @techie_19,

From my testing on the emulator, it looks as though you are correct in your assumptions. As of now, the USB sharing feature is limited to two users and there is no way in which to limit what user has access to what folders on the share. There is a way in which to limit what folders are seen on the share when using the USB Secure Sharing Feature, which could be useful when using in tandem with the media sharing. 

In order to set up secure profiles for file management, it is recommended that you use a designated file management solution. Recently, many external hard drive makers have been making very simple to set up NAS drives (Network Attached Storage) that connect via Ethernet. This is the type of system that I believe would be best suited for your solution given the application.

As for the password limitations, it would appear that the only way characters that can be used for USB sharing are lowercase/uppercase letters, and numbers. I started counting how long the password could be, but I decided to stop counting after 80 characters, lol. However, someone on the team says that symbols may have been added to the settings in a firmware upgrade, so please ensure that you are fully up-to-date. (psst and let me know if you can use symbols when fully up to date)

I will be passing along the following feedback to the development team about your experience with the feature:

• Ability to Add Users to USB Sharing Feature
  • Ability to Adjust File Viewing Permissions on a Per-User Basis
  • Increase Password Limitations on USB Sharing
    • Clear Instructions Regarding the Requirements
  • Access Control for Files by User Type

Sometimes features that are less often used, such as multiple users with USB sharing, can have features that are often overlooked during the testing and development phases. We have a feature request section where we can keep track of things like this and mark them as progressing. For this reason, I am going to actually move this thread there. Are there any other recommendations that you have regarding the feature, or any settings that you would like to see added beyond the list above?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 573

Replies: 3

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.