No-traveler 3-way Lights?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-11 19:29:16 - last edited 2022-06-12 19:48:54

After Insteon first shutdown, I replaced all the switches with Kasa, except for 2 sets of 3-way's that utilized the Wi-Fi ability of an Insteon switch to act as both a Responder and a Controller.  A garage light controlled at both garage and the house for example with no traveler wire (3 conductors) between them.  Insteon works again, but I want to go all Kasa.  Any equivalent method to control another Kasa switch remotely?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:No-traveler 3-way Lights?-Solution
2022-06-12 22:44:24 - last edited 2022-06-12 22:44:30

BuzzardsRoost wrote

Well that was easy.  I used the two HS210 3-way switches I had, but configured them as conventional single-pole switches by attaching the black wire (load) from the light to a Traveler screw and the other black wire (power) to the line/load screw.  I then configured the remote location HS210 using Smart Actions to control that switch. 

Result: a "no-traveler" 3-way switch!

the last Insteon devices are now ready for eBay...

One clarification. An HS200 or HS210 without a light or load connected to it will not function as a controlling switch with Smart Actions. Something Kasa needs to address IMHO. I addressed this by connecting a Choke (Inductor) between the Traveler screw on the HS210 (load on a HS200) and Neutral.  I happened to have a 1mH one in my stash, so used it. Most likely any value would work in this case.  @BuzzardsRoost 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:No-traveler 3-way Lights?
2022-06-12 18:55:01

I think I may be phrasing this incorrectly. This isn't a conventional 3-way installation being replaced by Kasa switches, but remote control of another Kasa switch over WiFi.  I'm thinking it can be done with Smart Actions?

Options
2022-06-12 19:48:48 - last edited 2022-06-12 22:44:36

Well that was easy.  I used the two HS210 3-way switches I had, but configured them as conventional single-pole switches by attaching the black wire (load) from the light to a Traveler screw and the other black wire (power) to the line/load screw.  I then configured the remote location HS210 using Smart Actions to control that switch. 

Options
Re:No-traveler 3-way Lights?-Solution
2022-06-12 22:44:24 - last edited 2022-06-12 22:44:30

BuzzardsRoost wrote

One clarification. An HS200 or HS210 without a light or load connected to it will not function as a controlling switch with Smart Actions. Something Kasa needs to address IMHO. I addressed this by connecting a Choke (Inductor) between the Traveler screw on the HS210 (load on a HS200) and Neutral.  I happened to have a 1mH one in my stash, so used it. Most likely any value would work in this case.  @BuzzardsRoost 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-09 18:42:14

@BuzzardsRoost I'd like to do this as well, can you clarify the wiring on the remote? That's where the choke goes right? Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 704

Replies: 4

Related Articles