KD110 doorbell camera person detection not respecting activity zones

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-29 01:13:04 - last edited 2022-09-29 21:35:17
Model: KD110  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.3.13

I just installed my KD110 doorbell camera. I'm assuming most people's front door faces the street like mine. I defined activity zones that encompass my front yard, but not the sidewalk. Anytime someone walks by on the sidewalk, I get a "person detected" alert.

Why doesn't the camera respect the activity zones for people detection? Without being able to exclude the street, sidewalk, etc. the person detection is pretty useless.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? I see other people with similar problems on other camera systems. I haven't seen any solutions (at least I haven't found them because the forum search is terrible).

0dd7dff44f504fc29a1730cdde4965f1

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:KD110 doorbell camera person detection not respecting activity zones-Solution
2022-09-29 16:03:04 - last edited 2022-09-29 21:35:17

@Carl Yes, I have an SD card installed and 24/7 recording is active. FYI, I don't have a subscription account.

It seems that switching motion off, then back on fixed the issue (at least for the moment). I haven't attempted to recreate but I believe the steps were

1. Motion and Person detection and notifications on

2. Turn off person detection (automatically disables person notifications)

At this point I stopped getting motion notifications (even though they were on). I turned motion off, then back on (I think "notifications" not detection) and it started working again.

To make person detection useful, it *REALLY* needs to respect activity zones. There also needs to be some "sensitivity" control for person detection as I get a LOT of false positives.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:KD110 doorbell camera person detection not respecting activity zones
2022-07-29 14:14:31

@Tex123 

The Person Detection feature in our cameras uses the full FOV of the camera's lens.  The Activity Zones is currently only for sound and motion detection.  We understand that this isn't always ideal so we have referred this to our engineering team for a potential future enhancement. 

Options
2022-09-27 20:12:44

@Carl are you aware if developers are already working on this? 

In my case, having the KD110, I disabled the "person detection" to validate if the activity zones were working and I found any movement out of the activity zones also triggers a notification and create the event in the Time line. Activity zones doesn't seems to work at all.

Is there any workaround to make it work?

Thanks,

Fernando 

Options
2022-09-27 20:53:13

@Milio209 That's interesting because I had the opposite experience. Activity zones seems to work for motion detection, but not for person detection.

I too turned off person detection since, surprise surprise, my doorbell faces the sidewalk and thus person detection was constantly going off.

I also noted that person detection is a bit over zealous (generates LOTS of false positives). I wish there were a sensitivity setting you could adjust to tone it down a bit.

Options
2022-09-29 15:46:02

@Milio209 

Not that I am aware of.  I know that Person Detection ignores activity zones but that is by design and not sure if it will be enhanced.  But for activity Zones not working with Person Detection off I was not aware of any such concern.  

The Timeline only works when you are using 24/7 recording w/ a MicroSD card.  Can you confirm if you are?

Options
Re:KD110 doorbell camera person detection not respecting activity zones-Solution
2022-09-29 16:03:04 - last edited 2022-09-29 21:35:17

@Carl Yes, I have an SD card installed and 24/7 recording is active. FYI, I don't have a subscription account.

It seems that switching motion off, then back on fixed the issue (at least for the moment). I haven't attempted to recreate but I believe the steps were

1. Motion and Person detection and notifications on

2. Turn off person detection (automatically disables person notifications)

At this point I stopped getting motion notifications (even though they were on). I turned motion off, then back on (I think "notifications" not detection) and it started working again.

To make person detection useful, it *REALLY* needs to respect activity zones. There also needs to be some "sensitivity" control for person detection as I get a LOT of false positives.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 623

Replies: 5