Google Pixel 6 - Microphone not working in latest Kasa app version

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-19 03:50:39 - last edited 2022-08-19 20:37:41
Model: KD110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Google Pixel 6 microphone was not working correctly with the Kasa Doorbell (KD110) and Tilt Camera (EC70).  The sound coming out of the Kasa devices was muffled/incoherent.

After much troubleshooting, I figured out that I needed to download an earlier version of the Kasa App, as discussed here: https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/508858.

I downgraded to version 2.34.0.1007 (2021-08-27) from an apk and got all the functionality back.  The sound is crystal clear again.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation, and hope that the developers address this shortfall in future updates.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Google Pixel 6 - Microphone not working in latest Kasa app version
2022-08-19 20:46:03

@filly,

Thanks for the information and the bug report. Usually, issues with audio are related to the permission granted to the app, but it is intriguing that it still received the audio, albeit distorted.

Before you downgraded the application, did you do any troubleshooting steps?

I would have recommended uninstalling the application and if the issue persisted, go into your phone setting and delete the cache and the documents/data associated with the Kasa application. This would have given a fresh install to determine if there was simply a miscommunication between your application and your phone.

Given that you have found a temporary solution, Do you have any further details that I can send to our team to try and replicate the issue? Like what android version you were using. 

Also, do you have any ideas of what may have been causing the sound to be muffled?

Was the sound muffled when viewing the camera through another device? Do you have any devices that were unaffected by the muffled sound? Were the stored audio clips or cloud clips exhibiting the same behavior?

Lastly, can you describe the muffled sound? Did this sound like it could be an audio encoding issue or did it just sound like you were listening to the stream under a pillow?

Options
2022-08-31 01:47:39

@Riley_S 

Hi Riley,

I am using Android 13 on Pixel 6.  I did uninstall the Kasa App and installed it again, and checked all phone permissions ( I was in touch with your help desk and followed their steps).  I tried using another phone (OnePlus Nord) and did not have any audio issues with both devices using the latest Kasa App.

Just to be clear - the sounds coming out of the camera and the doorbell was muffled ( i was speaking into my Pixel). It was impossible to understand what I was saying ( for example to a visitor at the door).  The words were garbled.

Hope this is helpful - let me know if you have any further questions.

Options
2022-12-05 01:24:17

@Riley_S 

Hi Riley,

Just as an update, I'm now on Pixel 7, Android 13, and had the same issue with the latest Kasa version creating garbled speaker output from the two Kasa devices I have.

I had to download the old APK Kasa version 2.34.0 for it to work properly.

Looks like this issue is still not resolved in the latest version.

Thanks!

Options
2022-12-16 21:55:09

@filly,

I think this is something to do with a setting on the Pixel Phone, as I haven't seen this reported for other devices. I know that the newest pixel phones automatically use a VPN for connectivity, have you tried disabling this to see if it still happens? Also, does it happen both on and off of your wireless network?

The new beta versions of the Kasa App have a debug tool built into the app, which creates a log that can be sent to our development team which may help since this seems to be an isolated behavior.  The newest beta version is this: Beta App APK Download 

Do you know of any settings or features for Pixel Phones that may be causing some sort of incompatibility between the devices?

Options
2022-12-16 22:37:00

@filly, My team also wanted me to recommend that you try disabling either the audio output on your device or phone to see if there is feedback causing the sounds. Apparently, the 2.34 app did not have the option to control/mute the output volume, however, this was added in the 3.0 version. As this is a clear change between the two app versions, I would try different combinations to see if the quality can be improved.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 463

Replies: 5