Inconsistent Performance with Alexa Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-03 18:04:17
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I have several HS103s smart plugs as well as several Kasa smart switches and they all work instantaneously via the Kasa app.

However, if I operate them using Alexa voice commands, the results are inconsistent.

Sometimes the voice command will work instantly exactly as it should.

Sometimes the voice command will work instantly even though Alexa reports,  "Device is unresponsive. Check its network connection".

Sometimes after a voice command, Alexa will report,  "Device is unresponsive. Check its network connection" but if I wait for 30 seconds or so the device will eventually respond.

All devices, BTW, are connected to a Deco X60 mesh system and all devices have a strong, solid wifi signal (thanks to the Deco X60).

Any idea why I am seeing such inconsistent behaviour?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Options
19 Reply
Re:Inconsistent Performance with Alexa Devices
2022-09-06 18:43:16

@Noell.

This is an issue that we are currently tracking as it seems to affect a lot of our users. From what I can tell, these reports happen in waves, such as when the Alexa Service experiences an interruption so it is difficult to determine what the cause of the issue was.

When the devices are disconnected, what is their status in the Alexa Application? What about the Kasa Application? 

If the devices are active, users have reported that forcing an action will cause the devices to reconnect to the voice assistant. This is useful if they are unresponsive for a longer period of time.

Do you have any other devices that behave similarly? Does it occur at the same time?

I have seen users say that other Alexa devices will have the same response, such as Wyze-powered devices.

When you say that you wait for 30 seconds and the device will eventually respond - Does this mean that the device follows the "failed" command, or that the device can be given a new command after 30 seconds?

Is there any pattern to when you exp[erience these interruptions?

- I do not have an Alexa powered smart home personally, but I am curious as to whether there may be some firewall or security setting that could be interrupting or delaying the command from reaching the device in time for Alexa to say "Okay, turning the switch on"- You could try to set one up on your guest network and see if the devices behave the same way. This isn't an official troubleshooting step, but I have a hunch that the command may simply be delayed.

Options
2022-09-07 13:56:48

@Riley_S 

Thanks. Really appreciate the reply.

Answers to your questions:

First of all, I wouldn't say that the Kasa devices ever "disconnect". 
The problem is frequent, sluggish performance when responding to Alexa voice commands. 
There is no pattern to the problem at all - totally random.

When this happens, all my Kasa devices are affected (I only have Kasa brand devices - one HS200, one HS220 and eight HS103) and the Alexa app shows a message that flips between "Device Unresponsive" and "Server Unresponsive".  Meanwhile, in the Kasa app, I can manually control every Kasa device with instant response.

I have never found that the sluggish performance via Alexa voice corrects itself after  operating a device or devices manually in the Kasa app. Whatever happens to cause the problem goes away just as randomly as it occurs.

If I issue an Alexa voice command and nothing happens, issuing another voice command does nothing to correct things as best I can tell so I have given up on reissuing a second voice command. What I do now after issuing a voice command is wait and eventually, after a varying length of time, the device will respond to the "failed" command"  even though the Echo device reports "device is unresponsive".

BTW, whether I issue the voice command to an Echo show, an Echo dot, or an Echo flex the behaviour is the same  - sometimes it works instantly and sometimes it works after a while.  If was to say how often this occurs I would say it is about 60/40 between sluggish operation and instant operation.

The last few lines in your response look to be intended for a different user.
However, in that response, you suggested using a guest network.
I actually tried my smart devices on my guest network but it made no difference.

Not being familiar with the exact network/server config between the Kasa (TP-Link) and the Amazon servers, my thought would be that those servers occasionally are not playing nice.

I think I have answered your questions.
Again, thanks for your attention to this problem and, if you need more info, just ask.

Best regards,
Lloyd

Options
2022-09-08 22:15:49

@Noell @Riley_S 

Not being familiar with the exact network/server config between the Kasa (TP-Link) and the Amazon servers, my thought would be that those servers occasionally are not playing nice.

That would be my guess.

I've noticed Alexa will occasionally say the device is unresponsive while at the same time doing exactly what was asked (Turn ___ on / Turn ___ off). Less often there will be a delay after saying it is unresponsive, but it will nearly always do what was asked providing Alexa itself hears what was asked.

Both the Kasa and Alexa app works properly, however occasionally the Alexa app won't initially show the correct device state.

I'm assuming the confirmation reply from Kasa/TP-Link gets lost/delayed therefor Amazon automaticly issues that responce.

I have a mix of HS300, KP125, KP115, Alexa Dot's & show. Using a new TP-Link AC4000 router, previously a Netgear.

Options
2022-09-09 17:23:22

@Otrip @Noelle  ,

Can you guys think of any potential network settings that could be potentially impacting the delivery speed of the data between devices? I have the same issue with Google Home, just to a far lesser extent. From what I can tell this is an issue with the overall timing of the traffic and doesn't just happen with Kasa Devices.

I am just curious if potentially changing features such as firewall setting or setting the Alexa devices to a guest network would reduce the total amount of time.

Options
2022-09-09 19:07:17
I monkeyed with firewall settings to no avail. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried my Alexa and smart devices on my guest network but it made no difference. ...Lloyd
Options
2022-09-12 17:13:15

@Dr_Mono,

Out of curiosity, does the Alexa app show this when it is first opened, or when an action is performed on a device. If it is on the start of the application, I wonder if the Alexa app when opened, requires your phone to establish a connection to Alexa and then to the other company's servers.

I would imagine that the smart actions and automation would operate on a separate system/backend.

This may explain why it goes away after a minute and why the Smart Actions/ Alexa Automations can still occur, even while the app is errored out.

Options
2022-09-12 20:31:11

@Riley_S 

To add to the puzzle.........

I forgot that I do have one smart devices that is not TP-Link/Kasa.

It is a Meross brand smart switch that has been in service for a couple of years.

Unlike my Kasa devices I have never found the Meross device slow to  turn on/turn off via Alexa voice comands.

Nor have I ever had any Echo device report the Meross device as  "Unresponsive".

..Lloyd

Options
2022-09-12 21:10:59

@Noell,

Depending on what Meross brand device you have, the switch may have a Bluetooth connection to your Alexa devices that provides local instead of cloud control of the switch. Do you remember if the setup process involved Bluetooth?

TP-Link is looking into the modern version of this technology actually. You can find more information in the story: Matter: A Step Forward in Smart Homes

Hopefully, this will solve the problem for all smart home device brands.

Options
2022-09-12 22:01:09

@Riley_S 

No bluetooth.

The Meross switch is on the same Deco X60 Mesh system that my Kasa devices are on.

And thanks for the link to info on the Matter Protocall.

Sounds interesting.  Wonder how far away it is.

Looks like existing devices wil be supported probably with a firmware update i would expect.

...Lloyd

Options
2022-09-13 05:20:24

Now i'm thinking the delayed responses are more of an Amazon/AWS issue.

The past couple days I've noticed some other (non Kasa) switches being slow to respond to voice commands. I'll ask Alexa to switch the non Kasa then the Kasa, the Kasa responds, then the non Kasa a few seconds later.

The other devices don't return the "device unresponsive" message, so I'm wondering if it's possible for the 'timeout' to be set lower for Kasa vs others? Or how exactly does that work in the cloud, where the response originates?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1487

Replies: 24

Related Articles