Energy monitoring switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Energy monitoring switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Energy monitoring switch
Energy monitoring switch
2022-10-03 10:43:01

I would love to have a Kasa smart switch with energy monitoring. This would be especially useful for fans and other hardwired devices.

Even better would be a 3way dimmable switch with energy monitoring. For recessed lights.

I only know of one other brand that makes a 3way dimmable w/ energy monitoring and lets just say their app and reliability is pretty pathetic.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Energy monitoring switch
2022-10-04 00:20:34

@Otrip,

Thanks for the feedback! I know we have seen similar requests for this in the past, but, i haven't seen one in a while. I do believe that there are some technological hoops that must be jumped through for monitoring inline devices, as there is always electricity passing through them; however, I will pass it along to the team and see what they have to say about the feasibility of adding the feature to future devices.

Options
Re:Energy monitoring switch
2022-10-04 09:55:50

@Riley_S 

I can understand the hoops if you were trying to design something like the KS230 main & satellite dimmer but with energy monitoring. No need to overcomplicate it. I'm sure most would be fine with the ability to only dim from one location and use a standard 2 way dumb switch at the other location. I'd bet most primarily use use voice command or the app to control them anyway.

As far an energy monitoring a switch, wouldn't that be similar to a smart plug with energy monitoring? Instead of using the plugs hot (receptacle side) to calculate the energy you would be using the switches load side.

A 3 way would be the same but a little more tricky with the additional circuitry for the the traveler needing to be placed prior to the energy monitoring.

The only requirement would be needing to be installed at the main switch location but that is no different than using a single HS210 and a dumb switch.

Thank you for the response and inquiring about it. I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 2

Related Articles