“ If not please create a new thread detailing your concerns and what you have done to troubleshoot.”

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

“ If not please create a new thread detailing your concerns and what you have done to troubleshoot.”

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-12 04:26:26

so here's your new thread. suddenly half my entire kasa smart house is "local only", we're asking YOU what to do to troubleshoot! you wanted a new thread so here it is, now how do we reconnect alexa, please?

Options
6 Reply
Re:“ If not please create a new thread detailing your concerns and what you have done to troubleshoot.”
2022-10-12 16:51:55

@elithea,

We usually ask users to create new threads rather than tag into other discussions so that the Post can get more attention based on having an appropriate title, especially when its a problem that affects multiple users.

If your devices have gone local-only, it means that your devices have become disconnected from the cloud but they are still connected to your home network. Have you tried restarting the plug or network? 

The best way to fix the issue, albeit a pain, is to go around and soft-reset the devices and reconnect them to your network. This can be done by holding the power button for 5 Seconds, rather than the 10 required for a factory reset. A Soft Reset will only reset the network connection on the device and will keep all the other settings.

Options
Re:“ If not please create a new thread detailing your concerns and what you have done to troubleshoot.”
2022-10-12 17:16:45
yes, i restarted the network and soft reset all the plugs before i asked the question. one came back to alexa. three did not, still just local only.
Options
2022-10-12 22:07:50

@elithea,

Did you try a hard reset on the other two plugs to see if it would fix the issue?

Does the local-only notification appear in the Kasa App or the Alexa App? Are you still able to control the plugs with the Kasa application when you are on the same network?

If the issue is a connection between Kasa and Alexa, I would recommend trying to change the name of the device in the Kasa app to something else. Another user reported that when they named their plug 'office light' Alexa took it upon herself to change the type of device to light instead of a plug, which broke the integration.

Options
2022-10-12 22:27:48
i’ve tried everything, many times, please don’t speak as if i haven’t, it’s just a delaying tactic and is not helpful. it’s even weirder: the one that came back on in alexa by itself is still marked local only in the kasa app (where i can control everything) even though it now works with alexa, too. a second one i just gave up on altogether as i don’t really need it. but the one that’s most persistently resistant to alexa is local only in kasa, where it works fine, but in alexa is marked, not “unavailable” as usual but “server unresponsive”! the last one finally worked after several attempts to reset so i suppose i’ll just have to keep trying, and rethink my commitment to an all tp-kasa house.
Options
2022-10-12 22:30:20
oh, and yes, i tried the name change thing. no go. changed the name back.
Options
2022-10-13 00:54:55

@elithea,

If the device is local only in the Kasa app, the Alexa servers will not be able to see the device as their servers will communicate with our servers, and your device currently does not exist anywhere but inside of your network and should only be able to be controlled from when connected to your local network.

I would honestly try to delete the device on the Kasa app if its possible while it is local, as this would ensure that no settings are being carried over when its reset. This should remove it from your TP-Link ID and allow for a completely new configuration.

I do not know what type of plug you have, but if it has Homekit, Google FFS, or Amazon Seamless Setup - you might try to set up the device directly from the alexa app after a reset, then the plug will be discovered automatically by the Kasa App.

The fact that you still have a local device that is controllable by Alexa sort of breaks my brain. Does the device say that it is locally controlled on a second phone? I know that the new Kasa app has created some issues in the backend services such as IFTTT, but as far as I know, they have been fixed.

So i can check for any known issues: What model plug do you have? What firmware is listed?

Options