Kasa KS230 setup help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa KS230 setup help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Kasa KS230 setup help
Kasa KS230 setup help
2022-10-13 23:49:54
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello!

So need a little help; I have a kitchen with LEDs all controlled by 3 different switches. Each switch turns the light off and on with one ALSO having a build in dimmer (the model number of that switch is TCGL-153p if that helps) that dims the lights. 

My question is, I really only want to change out one light switch to the KASA KS230, but I only see it sold as a kit. So can I buy just 1, and if not, do I need to buy 2 sets, so all 3 switches are KASA KS230s? Either way, I'm wasting 1 switch. 

(Side note I have a Kasa HS220 I have not used, but I assume it won't work here because its only 2 pole) 

Thanks for the advice! 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Kasa KS230 setup help
2022-10-14 00:17:11

@TPRazi,

Unfortunately, your wiring setup isnt one of the officially supported setups for the product, the product was designed for only two switches.

The KS230 is sold in a kit, because the satellite units don't actually dim the lights, they just pass information back to the main box. In your setup, the switches completely cut the power to the circuit so the KS230 wouldn't work with the other switches in the room.

While we don't provide support for, nor recommend using our products in non-traditional setups, there are plenty of our power users on the forum that has found ways to use our switches in unique situations, such as a 4-way or 5-way configuration. I even think I saw an 8-way configuration posted by one of our beta testers.

Unfortunately, every house can be wired differently, so your home's wiring may not be the same as another's. As a result, I would recommend mapping the wires out on a piece of paper or asking an electrician. If you provide that, another community member may be able to give you a better idea of whether it is possible or not.

The other option would be to look into how to turn your 4-way circuit into a traditional 3-way, as this is oftentimes as simple as connecting two wires at the extra switch so that it will be removed from the circuit.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 319

Replies: 1

Related Articles