Light strip won’t turn off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-20 10:10:46
Model: Tapo L900-5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.11.5

Had my light strip for a couple of months and all has been working fine until today.  The light can no longer be turned off even I completed a reset.  It's got be be associated with an update as it happened overnight.  I've now had to isolate the strip from the mains electricity as there is no other way to turn it off.  

Very frustrated with the Tapo devices at present as I purchased a security camera the other day but that doesn't work properly either.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Light strip won’t turn off
2022-11-21 21:20:29

@Mushy,

To clarify, there's no way to turn the light off by any of the available methods?

- Controlling via the app on your local network

- Controlling via the app on a cell connection

- Most importantly, Using the button on the controller

If none of these can control the device, make sure that you did a complete factory reset and not just a soft reset. Lastly, make sure that your app is up to date with the latest version from the app store. If it cannot be controlled via the hardware button, I would recommend getting in contact with our support line. If I hear anything in the next few days about similar behaviors for Tapo strips from the team, I will make sure to update you.

Options
2022-11-21 22:33:12

@Riley_S thank you for your help.  I can confirm the light strip will not turn off by any of the methods stated.  The firmware is up to date and I have done a hard reset by holding the button for 10 seconds.   Everything was working fine until now so baffled as to why this has now happened.

Options
2022-11-21 23:21:19

@Mushy,

Does the device show as connected in the Tapo app? If so, are you able to control the device, such as the brightness? Also, if you are using any unofficial third party systems to control the light, such as Home Assistant, I would recommend removing or disabling the device

Options
2022-11-22 08:21:33

@Riley_S I can control the brightness and change colour as normal but when I turn it off the light changes to red.  It does the same whether I use the app to turn it off or if I do this manually.  

I'm using the tapo app only to control the light and when I turn it off it shows this on the app but the light is still on and has turned to red.  When I turn it on the colour changes to the one I have selected, along with the brightness that I have set.

At present the only way I can turn it off is by disconnecting from the mains which the shows it being offline in the app. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 441

Replies: 4

Related Articles