Motion and Lights - "Off Means Off"

Votes

Motion and Lights - "Off Means Off"

17 Reply
Re:Motion and Lights - "Off Means Off"
2023-07-24 19:24:44 - last edited 2023-07-24 19:25:54

Riley_S wrote

@Vapian

I am actually preparing a survey for our motion light switches and dimmers to see what features everyone would find the most useful and how they would like to see the Smart Actions for the device implemented. Keep an eye out for the survey's official announcement over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, are there any specific features or questions that you think should be added to the survey? Currently, most questions revolve around what Smart Actions and Rules you would like to see added, and which you use most often.

@Riley_S 

I'm sure others could weigh in here, too. Probably should - it's been a while since I (unfortunately) had to switch out the KL135's due to some of the issues I was having with being unable to control them the way I wanted to. That said, I still have them, so it would be easy enough to set some up in a room for further testing.

I can definitely say that, as this thread started, having some way to be able to specify the behavior in response to a user-initiated "Off" command would be helpful (e.g., continue current Off behavior that keeps Motion enabled, disable Motion entirely until an explicit "On" or non-zero Brightness command, etc.).

Not sure how much of this might already be available due to any recent changes in the app or firmware, but other things that come to mind include:
- Making Motion / Occupancy and any button press available as a trigger for any Smart events, actions, or controls on any Kasa/Tapo devices (including other wall controls, like your switches, dimmers, and fan controllers)

- Ensuring Motion / Occupancy is exposed in device capabilities when queried, so third-party controls can discover, configure, and use Motion for other purposes

- Ensuring motion / occupancy events are broadcast when they occur (so they are asynchronous and do not have to be manually queried)

- Option to use Motion switch buttons (like Dim + / Dim -) as smart control of Kasa / Tapo lights or switches, instead of just altering the power output like a standard dimmer. This doesn't have to be limited to Dimming / Brightness; Dim + / - might also be assigned to adjust Color Temperature, scroll through Presets, trigger recording on one or more cameras, etc.

- Double-taps (or even Double- and Triple-taps) for any button, including the Power button, to add additional adjustments for dimmable or smart lights, or anything else that could be assigned to Smart actions or devices.

- Blue Sky suggestion: Ability to assign third-party control protocols to Fan switches, so using the fan switch isn't limited to physical control of a fan via power line, but actual API control of fans. There are several ceiling fans now that have such control, or will soon have that by way of their own Matter integrations.

That's all off the top of my head, but I'll keep pondering on it!

Options
2023-08-09 23:38:31

@Riley_S 

Hi all, I would love to see the ability in the app to disable the motion sensor in the switch with a scene/smart action. I use many of these motion switches in my garage. When I'm working in there or having a get together I would love to be able to run a scene that would disable the motion sensor so that with another scene (or manually) I can turn on/off the lights. They will then stay on/off continuously until I turn the motion sensor back on with a scene/smart action.  At present I have to individually turn off each device's Smart Control to diable motion sensing. I know they are motion sensors, that's why I bought them and they do work great but having the ability to disable that function once and a while I believe  would be beneficial in my case. Thanks 

Options
2023-08-14 19:26:40

@Bryfry73@Vapian @Paradox52525, @RojasNet2, @LearnTO, @lidowave , @Smarterhome, @Hank99 

Thank you to everyone who has provided your feedback throughout the forums. Your feedback has been passed previously but will be formally passed to our R&D team, along with the results from the ongoing feedback survey.

Due to the number of similar requests, we have prepared a Survey to gather feedback on the Smart Rules and Functions of Motion Switches and Dimmers.

The Forum Post for the Survey can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/618506

Options
2023-09-08 12:25:47
I would really like to see capability around disabling the motion sensor and/or enabling it via voice (with google or alexa) and button combinations along with possibly coming up with an indicator that could be turned on or off in settings where we used a slow pulse amber light (assuming that isn't already used for something) Some ideas I have: "Turn the motion sensor off/on" / "Disable/Enable the motion sensor" "Turn the motion sensor off/on for x hours/mins/seconds" / "Disable/Enable the motion sensor for x hours/mins/seconds" Press and hold switch to disable like on the dimmer light to disable the motion sensor (unless this is already acting the same way on the motion sensor dimmer then I would suggest we use some other thing like tripple tap or hold longer)
Options
2023-12-04 06:49:27

@Vapian this is an amazing feature we beed

Options
RE:Motion and Lights - "Off Means Off"
2024-01-02 07:14:52
I would also like to raise my hand for this feature (disabling/enabling Smart Control via voice commands) to be added, pretty please!
Options
RE:Motion and Lights - "Off Means Off"
2024-01-24 23:35:51 - last edited 2024-01-24 23:37:10

@GarlicRice101 

I second this request. I see that these requests were not implemented for a while now.

The best solution is to add more smart actions which the app is already capable of but currently with limited actions. For example, I should be able to do things like: WHEN motion is triggered, THEN disable motion sensor for 30 min - 2 hours. Also, I should be able to disable the motion sensor using Alexa\google voice commands. 

Options

Voters 8

+ 4 Voters

Tags

motion