Votes

Please add the ability to change email address on the Kasa account

Votes

2022-12-31 18:34:47

I was surprised to not see a feature request here to be able to change the email address associated with our Kasa accounts.  It's been requested many times in the forums and elsewhere with MANY folks asking for this.  When you have many devices, groups, schedules, etc., it is incredibly painful to use the current process: deleting devices from the app, resetting each device to factory settings, logging the app into a new account, and re-adding all of the devices, groups, schedules, etc. 

The email address I currently use gets so much spam that I have moved to a new one.  But I'm hanging onto the old one simply because my Kasa devices are mapped to it and I've been dreading taking the time to move them all.  Nearly every other web site/app I use has the ability to change the email address associated with the account.  It's just something must customers just expect to be there.

I would like to suggest that you should always make the following suggestion to customers BEFORE setting up their devices: 

*** Create a new free email address that is associated with the residence rather than a person (e.g. FiveSouthStreet@gmail.com).  Then use this email address when you initialize the Kasa app and add devices to it.  You can of course then use the email address for any other smart home or IoT devices you have. 

Doing this will make it 1) less likely that this email will get compromised/spammed if it's only used with a few web sites/apps and 2) easy to turn over the email address/password to a new owner should you move and leave the devices behind.

Options
7 Reply
RE:Please add the ability to change email address on the Kasa account
2023-06-28 20:11:48
It's a pretty basic option these days for most providers to allow the email address on an account to be changed. Hello TP-Link/Kasa, please add the feature. It's easy to see that old topics on this have existed for years. I'm guessing I'll have to turn my amazon vote from a 4.5 to a 1 till this is fixed.
Options
Re:Please add the ability to change email address on the Kasa account
2023-08-21 16:47:44

@BP.Home 

Seems pointless to ask.  They've had requests for over five years for ability to change email.  If it hasn't happened by now it isn't going to.

But I have a different angle:  Can I just keep email the same even though the email no longer exists?

That is: will I still be able to log on to Kasa (and I suppose this forum) without a REAL email address just keep using the old one?  I understand I'll never get any email from them but does that matter - I don't anyways.  As long as email confirmation isn't required to use anything then who cares?

Options
2023-12-04 21:33:10

This is pretty pathatic, in my opinion. There are threads in this forum (various topics) asking, practically begging for an email change option. I don't care if it's in one app out of 20, or only web based, just give the option and provide basic direction so others can find it. There was even an option in the TP-Link DECO app at one point that allowed you to change your email and they even had a KB article on it, but subsequently REMOVED THE FUCTION! 99.9% of applications that require email (I'm making this number up) have an option to change the email and retain the same account.

I'm literally sending my Kasa plugs back to Amazon because I can't change my account email, and it's pretty clear this isn't an up and coming "feature".

/rant

Options
2024-01-28 20:06:31
I can't believe everytime i want to change something tp link somehow manages to screw me up. Change password on my ssid and have all devices update with it.. nope Change ssid names for 2.4 and 5 on deco... nope Change channel numbers on deco..... nope Now i find out change an email address on kasa account.... nope. TP Link disappoints yet again. Surprise surprise.
Options
2024-02-11 20:43:45

@Hmajd adding a "+1" to this request.

Options
RE:Please add the ability to change email address on the Kasa account
2024-02-11 20:44:29
Add the ability to change email address assigned to account
Options
Monday

@BP.Home 

I wholeheartedly support this request. I just did a deep dive into a closed forum from 2018 about how to change email, which offered a solution by installing the TP Link Deco app to do so then to delete the app, but the instructions that this reply said to follow were no longer available at the link given in #18 reply (link which I copied and tried to paste here but the paste didn't work).

Many reasons to need to change email, mine is that our internet service provider will no longer be providing email soon so we've had to set up our household email with a Gmail account instead. Please listen to your customers Kasa/TP Link!!!!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 9

Views: 782

Replies: 7

Voters 7

+ 3 Voters