Votes

Random scheduler for smart automation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-05 03:06:49 - last edited 2023-01-05 03:45:31
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

It would be great to add a random scheduler option within smart action automation.

As an example you set a time for lights to turn on or off, but add an option to randomize that time +\- the time by XX minutes/hours and not be a static entry for on/off.  This option would address when away and you want lights to appear on and off to look like someone is home and no pattern found in the lighting.  I.e. security feature.  

Taking that idea further you create a "group," of lights and they turn on/off randomly to show up as someone moving around the house. If living room turns off, bedroom turns on. And those are timed and randomized as well.

Another option would be the app or hardware is familiar with local sunrise and sunset data and day light savings time if so followed. So if I set the lights to turn on at 7pm/19:00 and it's summer, it would still be sun-out in my area till after 9pm. Accommodate for that. But in the winter sunset is as early as 4pm and it would be dark for 4+ hours before the lights automatically turned on.  There is a great marketing message to sell here with this feature around intelligence and power savings based on local sunrise/sunset data.

I should add I'm using the smart actions within the deco app and not the Kasa app.  I see the sunrise/sunset options and relay options available in the Kasa app, but no randomized time option in either and no delay options within the deco app. The two apps don't have the same consistency between features

Options
4 Reply
Re:Random scheduler for smart automation
2023-01-05 19:41:38

@Mitch808,

The deco smart home functionality is definitely still in development, as the new BE900 actually ships with Matter compatibility; unfortunately, I would assume that the development of the features would be slower than the Kasa App as the Kasa team is dedicated to improving the app.

The Kasa App just received a large update that added many new features, so I would expect these to make their way over to the Deco App in time. I would recommend potentially looking into using the Kasa App for your devices that require more complex automation. Otherwise, you could try to connect the devices directly to another automation platform, such as Smartthings to add additional functionality.

Regarding the Time/Feature Parity - I will see if I can find any information regarding the Deco's Kasa Integration and see if there are timelines available, otherwise I will forward the request to the dev team to have the automation features from Kasa added to the deco app.

For the Randomization Feature: This is another feature that is actually available in the Kasa App as a per-device option(not a Smart Action). This seems to depend on whether or not the device supports the 'Away' Feature, as I believe that the schedule for this feature is managed locally by the device.

Options
2023-01-06 07:09:16

@Mitch808 

Kasa has a Away mode, does this suit your need?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/947/

Options
2023-01-06 19:03:03

@Little_C   It does get me 93% of the way there.  It's on a per device basis which is okay.  But I'd still like to see it with a grouping of devices and it used as a smart automation policy.

Options
2023-01-10 10:09:20

@Mitch808Agreed! it would be nice to be able to set Away mode for a bunch of devices when you are not at home.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 388

Replies: 4

Voters 2