Amazon Fire Sticks crashing Deco network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-06 23:32:06
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20220113

Greetings,

I installed 3 Deco S4 units a couple of months ago to address some coverage issues in my home.  The system is running in AP mode with the main unit connected to an ethernet switch which is in turn connected to my router.  All 3 Deco units use ethernet to connect to each other. 

The system was performing flawlessly until I installed 3 new Amazon Fire Stick 4k units on the network as potential replacements for some DirecTV Stream boxes.  Two of the three Fire Sticks connect to the wireless network while the third is hardwired into the network.  Now, every time I run a speed test on any of the Fire Sticks my Deco network goes off-line (Red LEDs on all 3 units) until I power cycle the main Deco unit.   Also, some of the Fire Stick videos are pixelated (the reason I'm running the speed tests), while playing the same video through the DirecTV boxes results in no pixelation.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is there some particular configuration item on the Deco I should be checking?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Amazon Fire Sticks crashing Deco network
2023-01-09 07:25:36

@jcm183 Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

When Deco S4 is in AP mode, rare features need to be changed.

If you were able to reproduce this issue most of the time, could you please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. Can I have a picture of your network layout, such as:

ISP modem router combo---a network switch---main Deco S4---Deco S4 satellite #1---Deco S4 satellite #2

2. May I know the model number of the main router as well as the switch?

3. If not to power cycle the main Deco S4, Will unplugging/plugging the cable between the switch and main Deco help bring the connection back?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-18 20:34:42

@David-TP I'll develop a quick diagram and forward to the email provided along with the requested details.

I've attempted to discern a pattern of this behavior but have been unable to do so. I've stopped running speed tests from the Fire Sticks; now we only see the issue every 2 or 3 days.  Unplugging the main Deco from AC power provides the fastest resolution, but sometimes just waiting 10-15 minutes will do the trick.  Unfortunately that solution isn't always workable.   Unplugging the network connection doesn't seem to speed up resolution of the problem.

Thank you.

Options
2023-01-23 18:13:16

@David-TP  Email with additional requested information sent this afternoon.

Options