Benefits of enabling Local Management via HTTPS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-09 20:08:44 - last edited 2023-01-11 07:47:56
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Archer C7(US)_V5.0_220715

Hello,

I enabled HTTPS on my Archer C7 after reviewing some notes based on recommendations I read awhile ago. Of course after attempting to login afterwards, I received the warning that the connection is not private.

I read documentation at https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2598/ explaining that the connection is safe and I can safely proceed to access the router anyway. What I don't understand is whether there is any benefit to keeping the https enabled. I don't plan to access the router from the Internet. Would someone enlighten me on the benefits to keeping https enabled? I don't mind clicking past the warning for any added benefit.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Benefits of enabling Local Management via HTTPS-Solution
2023-01-10 19:33:27 - last edited 2023-01-11 07:47:56

@lanilink,

I believe that this is a bit more of a grey area when it comes to the management of routers, as compared to connecting to the web or another site, as the data is only passing from your device to the router, rather than passing to the web.

For this connection, I believe the only advantage is that you do not get a warning about the connection; the security would come into play when/if your network were to be under attacked and opened to vulnerabilities, as this would encrypt the connections that are passing to your router.

For security purposes, it is recommended that you keep the setting enabled, unless you find a need to disable it. The more layers of security and protection you can place between your device and the internet, the better off you are.

I was also told by one of our QA team that the HTTPS feature may be required by some services if you are looking to access the router interface from outside of your network. Also, if your network is set to only use ipv6, there is a potential for issues accessing the device through one of the methods.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Benefits of enabling Local Management via HTTPS-Solution
2023-01-10 19:33:27 - last edited 2023-01-11 07:47:56

@lanilink,

I believe that this is a bit more of a grey area when it comes to the management of routers, as compared to connecting to the web or another site, as the data is only passing from your device to the router, rather than passing to the web.

For this connection, I believe the only advantage is that you do not get a warning about the connection; the security would come into play when/if your network were to be under attacked and opened to vulnerabilities, as this would encrypt the connections that are passing to your router.

For security purposes, it is recommended that you keep the setting enabled, unless you find a need to disable it. The more layers of security and protection you can place between your device and the internet, the better off you are.

I was also told by one of our QA team that the HTTPS feature may be required by some services if you are looking to access the router interface from outside of your network. Also, if your network is set to only use ipv6, there is a potential for issues accessing the device through one of the methods.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Benefits of enabling Local Management via HTTPS
2023-01-11 07:47:48

@Riley_S 

Based on your response, I will keep https enabled. It's a minor inconvenience and worth the extra seconds for added protection in an unfortunate event of an attack. Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Cheers,

Lani

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 287

Replies: 2

Related Articles