Standard practice for assigning IP addresses in DHCP Reservations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-10 00:38:17 - last edited 2023-01-11 07:39:45
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Archer C7(US)_V5.0_220715

If my router has a DHCP pool of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 and I want to add a Reservation, should I pick a valid IP address INSIDE or OUTSIDE the pool range? The User Guide shows how to create the reservation, but this must be so basic that it's not even covered. I searched a number of forums and it seems different people use different methods. 

Thanks,

Lani

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Standard practice for assigning IP addresses in DHCP Reservations-Solution
2023-01-10 22:49:14 - last edited 2023-01-11 07:39:45

@lanilink 

The 'idea' of a Reserved IP Address is so you KNOW where 'what' device is IF you want to access it via IP Address.

At one time I had a Printer that has some LAN connections problems. The maker told me it works best at X.X.X.10. So I had to reserve that IP address for it (and yes, the printer always connected then). Suspect the root problem was the Printer s/w couldn't figure out each time I powered up where the printer was?

So, you are NOT limited to the size set by defualt for the DHCP Server either, you can change the size or its starting or ending point as you please.

What you NEVER want to do is set a DEVICE to be within the DHCP Server IP Pool Address range. Why? Simple... you could have an IP Address CONFLICT, that is you set the device to have the IP Address of 192.168.1.12. You have 10 other devices normally on the LAN. That 10 devices get 192.168.1.2 up to 11 lets say. The pool's next address would be the same as the one you set the device for, but it would just replace it.

Now there are 2 different ways to get a fixed IP Address. One is setting it in the device itself... and the other is to RESERVER the address, usually by the devices MAC Address as a Reservation. Most routers will not allow you to Reserve an IP Address within the DHCP pool though. NOTHING stops you from doing a STATIC reservation on the device though.

So since you are not doing it on the Client Device, you should be OK, but just in case, DO NOT set an address for that device (by MAC Address) within the pool.

I do have devices I want to know the IP Address for, so I start my DHCP Pool at x.x.x.100. Any device I want I can set below that. I hapen to do it the Device, not as a Reservation though. Some devices might not allow manually setting it though, so one would need to use Reservation in that case.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Standard practice for assigning IP addresses in DHCP Reservations
2023-01-10 00:49:56

@lanilink I should add that I will not be setting up static IP addresses on the clients. 

Options
Re:Standard practice for assigning IP addresses in DHCP Reservations-Solution
2023-01-10 22:49:14 - last edited 2023-01-11 07:39:45

@lanilink 

The 'idea' of a Reserved IP Address is so you KNOW where 'what' device is IF you want to access it via IP Address.

At one time I had a Printer that has some LAN connections problems. The maker told me it works best at X.X.X.10. So I had to reserve that IP address for it (and yes, the printer always connected then). Suspect the root problem was the Printer s/w couldn't figure out each time I powered up where the printer was?

So, you are NOT limited to the size set by defualt for the DHCP Server either, you can change the size or its starting or ending point as you please.

What you NEVER want to do is set a DEVICE to be within the DHCP Server IP Pool Address range. Why? Simple... you could have an IP Address CONFLICT, that is you set the device to have the IP Address of 192.168.1.12. You have 10 other devices normally on the LAN. That 10 devices get 192.168.1.2 up to 11 lets say. The pool's next address would be the same as the one you set the device for, but it would just replace it.

Now there are 2 different ways to get a fixed IP Address. One is setting it in the device itself... and the other is to RESERVER the address, usually by the devices MAC Address as a Reservation. Most routers will not allow you to Reserve an IP Address within the DHCP pool though. NOTHING stops you from doing a STATIC reservation on the device though.

So since you are not doing it on the Client Device, you should be OK, but just in case, DO NOT set an address for that device (by MAC Address) within the pool.

I do have devices I want to know the IP Address for, so I start my DHCP Pool at x.x.x.100. Any device I want I can set below that. I hapen to do it the Device, not as a Reservation though. Some devices might not allow manually setting it though, so one would need to use Reservation in that case.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Standard practice for assigning IP addresses in DHCP Reservations
2023-01-11 07:42:07

Hi  @IrvSp 

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for taking the time to explain how it works in detail.

Cheers,

Lani

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 288

Replies: 3

Related Articles