Votes

iOS Kasa App Update Removed Local Only Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-12 01:36:53 - last edited 2023-01-13 03:04:26

Very Frustrating 

It appears that TP-Link had removed Local Only from their app. 

the app was updated within the past couple of weeks and when I opened it tonight it asked me to login or create an account. 

I never created a Kasa account as I run switches and plugs in Local Only Mode. 

as a matter of fact the skip account creatio. option that was previously available in the app is now missing. 

Am I missing something ?

Options
5 Reply
Re:iOS Kasa App Update Removed Local Only Setup
2023-01-12 19:00:48

@UnplugASAP,

Previously, a select few of our plugs could be controlled without having to log in to a Kasa account. This has generally been phased out as we can't guarantee any functionality if your device isn't updating its firmware from our servers, or isn't receiving the most recent security updates.

When connected to the same network as the devices, the plugs will still receive their commands locally, they must just be set up with a Kasa Account first. Also, many of our newer smart devices are shipping with Homekit, Google, and Amazon Setup Compatibility, which allows you to skip the initial Kasa Configuration Process and use your Respective App for Basic Controls. 

The actual local control of your devices from your phone remains the same; in fact, the team made it easier to identify when it happens compared to a cloud command.

Options
2023-01-12 20:14:35

@Riley_S "they must just be set up with a Kasa Account first"

That is the problem TP-LiNK has created.

TP-LINK has removed functionality from devices that I and other have purchased.

I have a box of plugs and switches that I can not set up now because you have removed a feature that I paid for.

Furthermore the app is unusable now without  logging into a KASA account.

I have no desire to be part of anyones cloud which is why I discussed at length with TP-LINK support regarding SETTING UP and USING the plugs and switches via LOCAL ONLY mode BEFORE making my purchases.

I have a number of TP-LINK products: Smart Switches, NICs, Media Converters, etc... and I have always had good things to say about TP-LINK products. That is until now.

What TP-LINK has done is called BAIT and SWITCH.  You have my money yet you have taken away what I purchased.  Some would call that theft.

If you are unwilling to restore the functionality to the app then I will expect a full refund for the products I have purchased.

Options
2023-01-12 21:39:49

Riley_S wrote

... as we can't guarantee any functionality if your device isn't updating its firmware from our servers, or isn't receiving the most recent security updates.

Hope I don't come across the wrong way, but that just can't be true. Granted, any additional or new functionality or security can't be guaranteed, but TP-Link (or any company for that matter) should always be able to guarantee a product is functional and can be used for the intended purpose by the customer right out of the box. Requiring an account just to get it set up on the local network is a rather onerous position.

Consider the "Cabin in the Woods" scenario: As a customer, I purchase several WiFi IoT products for my cabin in the woods, where I have a WiFi network but intentionally do not have and cannot obtain access to the Internet, or cellular data, in order to automate things at my isolated retreat.

Sure, there are workarounds. But most customers are unlikely to anticipate the things they'd have to do before going out to their cabin. And no one who is highly privacy conscious will appreciate being required to set up an account, regardless of what others may consider the benefits to be.

And not having an account should not prevent a user from updating the firmware. There are several ways around that:

• The most useful, is have the app download the firmware on startup, if an Internet connection is available. When it has new updates, the app can notify the user and provide the option to send the firmware to the device(s), which can handle the update from there. This allows for updates at the Cabin in the Woods, provided the app has been opened at some point before the next trip to the cabin.
  • Next best is have the app detect when new firmware is available on start up, and give the user the option to command the devices to go fetch and update themselves. This won't do anything for the Cabin in the Woods, but it won't hurt them, either.
  • Last option is just have the devices themselves check for new firmware. The options from there are:
    • Devices notify the app on start up, and give the option for the user to give permission to update, or
    • Devices just update themselves automatically and, to be courteous, the app notifies the user that firmware has been updated successfully. This one is a bit heavy-handed, in my opinion, but isn't entirely unreasonable.

I do get the appeal of encouraging cloud-connectivity, from a company perspective, at least for anything that doesn't involve selling data for advertising or marketing. There are a lot of very good reasons, from enabling control from remote locations, to providing rich technical support information for Customer Service, to getting good (anonymized!) analytics for feature and future product development.

But all of that should be opt-in, not a requirement to use a product that customers have paid for.

Options
2023-01-12 23:10:12

@Vapian,

We do not know the exact details of why the functionality was removed, but I have seen other brands move to similar setups; presumably for a reason. 

The local control and functionality of the device were never removed. The new Kasa 3.0 app simply requires a login before any devices can be configured. After logging in, the device will function the same as previously, with commands being sent over the local network. While yes, this is a pain for specific situations, the devices are far more stable and secure when operating under an Account. 

I will, however, definitely pass your recommendations on to the development team, as it would definitely make the process much easier for users in these situations.

I do have one concern about the recommendation: it is stated that the addition of an account to the setup process makes it so that only verified users and devices can connect to the Smart Device. With how many routers are now releasing extra secure IoT networks, this may have ended up being a point of vulnerability for networks, with attackers finding ways to connect to networks through these devices.

Also, as a result of the change, most firmware updates are now delivered automatically to users so that they can take advantage of the newest features and have the best experience. There have been many cases where a user simply needs to update the firmware on the device to fix an odd behavior, but was never done as a result of the device not communicating with the TP-Link cloud and only residing on the network. I would assume that additional protections were also added, such as a handshake between the device and server for account verification, to make sure that all firmware updates are delivered securely and reliably to connected devices.

For your information and peace of mind, TP-Link has made it clear to the teams that data privacy and security is a top priority for the company and that any data stored is done so through encryption and is secure from intrusions. I will see if I can find more information on why the change was made, if it was required, and what the advantages are of having the device connected to the cloud.

Options
2023-01-13 09:48:05

@Riley_S   "the devices are far more stable and secure when operating under an Account. "

Clearly you are a "sales person" without a networking or security background. 

The securest means of deployment is to have the device completely isolated from the internet. 

Having no internet access other than my wireless service I am living virtually "off grid" with regards to the internet, like a cabin in the woods, it has provided me such privacy and security. 

Unfortunately TP-LINK has now stolen from me the ability to control the devices I have installed as well as install the device that are still in the box. 

Worse yet they will know whenever a light is turned on or off, how long it was on, energy consumed and if someone is home.   Pretty soon they will be turning on and off the lights when they feel it is in our best interest. 

Before you know it TP-LINK will be charging a subscription fee for the KASA account and failure to pay will render a person's devices useless.  

If TP-LINK is unwilling to restore the removed feature then please provide a refund for the devices purchased and installed. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 381

Replies: 5

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.