Amazon Echo will not reconnect to AXE75 - manual resets required

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-19 15:43:16
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.16

With SmartConnect turned off, Echo's have been connecting to 5ghz or 2.4 GHz bands separately. However, when router or Internet gateway is reset, each Echo needs to be manually reconnected back into the Wifi network but resetting the Echo unit and going through setup again. Echo points to the router as the issue.

I'm using T-mobile's 5G home internet. The gateway has it's own ax Wifi network. After testing using Echo on that network, Echo units automatically reconnect there.

Please help me resolve. Our previous AC1750 router did not have this issue.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Amazon Echo will not reconnect to AXE75 - manual resets required
2023-01-19 17:30:28

@loki4687,

If you are using the built in Wi-FI on the Gateway, then you will experience difficulties and trouble with devices reconnecting, unless you place the AXE75 in AP mode.

Right now, it looks like you have two routers working on one network, causing confusion regarding network addresses.

You can either use the AXE75 in AP mode which disables the routing functionality but will still extend the connection, or place the T-Mobile Gateway into bridge or pass through mode, which will allow the AXE75 full control over the networks addresses. If you are still having difficulty, you can try connecting the device to your guest network to see if it can maintain a stable connection.

Options
2023-01-20 01:53:51

@Riley_S 

The AXE75 and the T-Mobile Gateway have distinct SSIDs. The T-mobile Gateway did not provide many options for customizations thats why I got a separate router. The WiFi signal out of the gateway could not be turned off, just 'hidden'. The previous AC1750 I used did not have any of this sort of behavior in the same configuration.

It's been frustrating to troubleshoot as I've been away on business. Thankfully, the smart switches from Kasa and our Philips Light Hub (wired) into our router are still working after router reset. The garage door and Amazon Echo's are all down and refusing to reconnect without manual intervention.

I will try AP mode.

Options
2023-01-20 17:08:18

@loki4687,

AP mode should defintely stop the behavior, If you have the model of gateway I can try and find some documentation on where the setting could be found for the modem

Options
2023-01-20 20:55:46

@Riley_S 

I tried conversion to AP mode, but it did not work perfectly. I did a factory reset on the Gateway and force 'hid' the WiFi connection coming out and it allowed the Echo's to reconnect to my network. I will post back if issues start to crop up again

For reference, the Gateway from T-Mobile is Sagecom FAST 5688W 5G Gateway. The only access is through the T-mobile app and there are no options for Bridging the connections.

Options
2023-01-21 00:02:28

@loki4687,

It looks like you are correct that there is no way to change the settings for the connection for that modem. HOWEVER, after going through some of the other threads posted regarding the modem, it looks like you are able to use your own equipment if you set everything correctly on the Archer Router. Here is the reddit thread that I was initially looking at: Bridge Mode on 5G

Options
2023-01-22 18:18:26

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the help these couple days.You've been of great help. After browsing reddit, it seems like there were a number of threads covering this topic. Things I've attempted to do:

1. Convert the T-Mobile Gateway to a Bridge Mode (Failed)

2. Turn off Wi-Fi T-Mobile Gateway. (Failed, there's a script that YouTuber Nater Tater shared in his channel to turn off Wi-Fi on the Sagemcom FAST unit, but Windows 11 stopped me from the running code (apostrosphe's somehow show us Chinese Characters in the Power Shell))

3. Turn AXE75 into an Access Point.(Success)

4. Turned off Smart Connect (Success)

With the Archer AXE75 as an Access Point, all devices in my household including the Amazon Echos and most importantly, my wife's gaming laptop runs fine. My PC running ROG Strix B550 F Gaming Motherboard's Wi-Fi card still hates connecting to the AXE75. It would maintain a Wi-Fi connection, but Internet connection gets lost.

As a result, I've made my everything going through the AXE75, but my PC directly connect Wi-Fi on the T-Mobile Gateway. It's the only one using the Gateway Wi-Fi. Seems to be working so far, but I'm baffled why my PC hates the router. I tried reinstalling drivers, forcing Wi-Fi to prefer 5Ghz or 2.5Ghz band, flushing dns etc, but nothing seems to work.

I'll post back if I start seeing issues with disconnections on other devices when using the router.

Options
2023-01-22 20:14:35

@Riley_S 

So my Pixel 6 will connect to the 2.4Ghz signal, but not the 5Ghz. WiFi connection will be successful onto 5Ghz, but cannot receive the internet from it. Could you advise where to go from here?

Options
2023-01-23 18:22:29

@loki4687,

PCs can be funny when connecting to networks wirelessly; make sure that you have installed the latest drivers directly from your network card manufacturer, as some of the newest cards may have difficulty connecting to the newest bands, especially the 6Ghz range.

For your PC, are you experiencing dropped connections that fix themselves? or is your PC having trouble establishing a connection? Make sure that the previously connected network is forgotten from the network settings before attempting to reconnect to the new network. However, the way that you have your network setup is actually beneficial for your traffic, as your wireless traffic will not have to use some of the bandwidth from the Archer, leaving more available for your other devices. While it may not be seen for the most part, if both your gaming laptop and PC need a large amount of bandwidth, your network will be able to cope far better.

For your pixel, have you tried turning off the Private Addressing Feature on the network? Its possible that the device receiving a new MAC address with each connect is breaking the routing through the network. Also, I believe that pixel phones will route your network traffic through a VPN by default; you may try disabling this feature to see if it is the cause.

Lastly, while I doubt that it would fix a problem that is occurring on only one device; you may try changing your DNS server.

Options
2023-01-24 14:19:49

@Riley_S 

I've deleted and reinstalled Wifi drivers tried new ones etc. If it disconnects, it will not return.

Yesterday, all 5Ghz connections coming from Archer are all refused. Today, my PC connects to 5G, while the Pixel stays stubborn. It's baffling why the 2.4Ghz and 6Ghz signals have no issue connecting but the 5Ghz remains an issue. The Pixel Wi-Fi connections use 'randomized MAC address' by default. WiFi Analyzer shows that the Archer 5Ghz signal is on its own channel.

The Archer keeps showing a number of UNKNOWN devices which are the Amazon Echos, but not sure why the 5Ghz connections do not provide internet. At times the Wi-Fi signal are not providing IPv4 addresses, just IPv6 which the confuses the PC. My work laptop corporate VPN refuses to connect when no IPv4 address is detected in the connnection. Is this mainly an issue with the T-mobile gateway when it happens since the Archer is in AP mode? I had to go from 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 6Ghz until a connection worked.

Options
2023-01-24 18:08:47

@loki4687,

First, I would recommend turning off the private addressing feature for the devices on your home network as the feature forces the Archer to identify the device as a new connection/client everytime it connects to the network. 

However, it does sound as though the devices are simply not connecting/remaining connected due to them not always receiving a compatible IP address from the network. Unfortunately, with the Archer in AP mode, this responsibility falls directly onto the T-Mobile Gateway. I would recommend reaching out to them to see if they have an answer of why the DHCP server is not always assigning IPv4 addresses.

You may try 80Mhz channel width on Channel 36, as this is the recommended setting for troubleshooting

Options