DNS Unresponsive to Browsers, ping only partially responsive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-22 21:45:31 - last edited 2023-01-24 14:13:37
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20210820 rel.50770(5553)

I've spent days on this problem. Using Starlink as ISP (Fortunately I have a second ISP to connect to, and two computers running Mac OS Monterey, and an iPhone)

I'm replacing AXE75 with AX90. The Starlink modem is in Bypass mode.

1. The (older) AXE75 was working fine (ping, web browsers, ssh/scp via OpenVPN, etc.)... until I upgraded the recommended Firmware (AXE is now unusable).

2. I used ALL the AXE75 settings on the new AX90 (and have tried many variations since then: rebooted router dozens of times, rebooted Starlink numerous times, etc). I'm using either the Ethernet cable, and/or the WiFi connection

3. When I ping google or traceroute to google, whatsmyip, the AX90 works.

4. When I ping (or traceroute) our company servers IP number - no problem

5. But when I ping (or traceroute) our company company servers IP name, "Host not Found"

6. Safari, Chrome, Firefox Browsers to Gmail, Google, etc... "Host not Found"

I've got the settings on both the AX90 and computer DNS servers set to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (also tried 1.1.1.1)

using the terminal, scutil --dns | grep 'nameserver\[[0-9]\]' shows 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

So it looks like NAT isn't working (Dynamic IP and NAT are enabled). I've checked for double-NAT conditions: not apparent that it is the problem.

Using the terminal on my computer, scutil --dns | grep 'nameserver\[[0-9]\]' shows 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - consistent with Mac Preferences -> Network DNS settings

Searched all the forums/FAQs, etc... no joy

Anybody else encountered this problem?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DNS Unresponsive to Browsers, ping only partially responsive-Solution
2023-01-24 02:52:28 - last edited 2023-01-24 14:13:37
Thank you Thank you Thank you ... I just set the Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting to 100 Mb Full duplex,(making sure Enable NAT was on), and bingo! ... all the company IP names were resolved, and browsers worked. I imagine that is what installing a switch would do (I tried one, but it was an older Netgear "Smart Switch" I hadn't configured properly). This one kept me up at night: I so appreciate the suggestion. -d
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:DNS Unresponsive to Browsers, ping only partially responsive
2023-01-24 01:23:31

@spacenvironment,

I will go through this in more depth, but I do have two initial suggestions.

Starlink gateways have known issues connecting to some routers. One way that I have seen some users easily fix their Starlink Connections is to place a network switch between your AXE75 and the Starlink Gateway. 

The other solution I have seen is to change the auto-negotiation for the connection to 100mbps full and see if the names can be resolved.

If the connection is working to some extent, I would imagine that there should be errors or system notifications in the logs of the router that may indicate what may be the cause. I am a little at a loss since most fixes I have seen are in relation to the connection never being established in the first palce

Options
Re:DNS Unresponsive to Browsers, ping only partially responsive-Solution
2023-01-24 02:52:28 - last edited 2023-01-24 14:13:37
Thank you Thank you Thank you ... I just set the Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting to 100 Mb Full duplex,(making sure Enable NAT was on), and bingo! ... all the company IP names were resolved, and browsers worked. I imagine that is what installing a switch would do (I tried one, but it was an older Netgear "Smart Switch" I hadn't configured properly). This one kept me up at night: I so appreciate the suggestion. -d
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:DNS Unresponsive to Browsers, ping only partially responsive
2023-01-24 17:52:42

@spacenvironment,

Im glad that this was able to work as a fix. I had thought that fixes were rolled out in previous firmware updates to fix this behavior; however, it looks like it may have been left out of the most recent update since the behavior returned for your network. As soon as our engineering team returns from holiday, I will bring this to their attention to see what can be done.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 3

Related Articles