TP-Link's First Matter Device: Tapo P125M - Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug

TP-Link's First Matter Device: Tapo P125M - Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug

13 Reply
Re:TP-Link's First Matter Device: Tapo P125M - Mini Smart Wi-Fi Plug
2023-03-03 17:40:01 - last edited 2023-03-03 23:55:24

@UditB,

I was reading through some of Google's forums about the matter protocol, and it seems to be a known issue. There is a forum thread where it is indicated that the problem may lie with the google play store not installing the matter package alongside the google home app. If you are familiar with ADB commands, you may try to follow this thread.

Some users indicated that installing another Matter-capable app, such as Alexa or Smartthings may install the package, and fix the Google Home App.

For my case, I had to  uninstall the Google Home App, and after reinstalling I was presented with entirely different options for setting up a matter-enabled device, and a bridge?; however I also currently have a few matter-capable apps installed.

Lastly, do you know if you are using the public preview interface for the Google Home App? If you are, the main page should have a button in the top left with the word preview in it, indicating that you have enrolled in the public preview program.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2024-01-22 15:12:43

@Riley_S 

My smart plugs are rebooting every 3-5 minutes whlch results in the devices hooked up to them to turn off and on for about 1/2 a second.  I can hear the relay clicking in the device and the plugs are synced in their shut off, even though they were setup at a different time, which makes me think it's a network issue.  Both devices are within 5 feet of the T-Mobile router and show a strong signal and are on the latest firmware.  Any suggestions?

Options
2024-01-22 20:09:11

@tymorrisonheath,

Hmm, I cannot think of too many things that would cause this, other than a Wi-Fi problem or something happening during a firmware update.

Honestly, I would recommend factory resetting the device and reconfiguring from scratch, as its possible the plugs updated and now have conflicting settings.

Since you think it may be a network issue, you may consider first attempting a soft reset (5sec), which will only restore the network settings to factory defaults.

Were the plugs only connected/controlled by the Tapo app, or are they also connected to another platform such as Google or Apple Home?

Two other things to try: move the device to another network such as your Guest Network, or isolate the device and see if the behavior continues. 2nd: Try different power outlets or test your power to make sure that they are receiving a stable voltage and not rebooting because of this.

Lastly, what model is your router from T-Mobile?

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options