HS200 switch Firmware Update Fail

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-17 02:14:16
Tags: #Firmware
Model: Kasa HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I have tried to update the firmware but each time it says it fails. I have tried resetting the switch, changing the location information, updating the day and time and each thing I try still provides a failure. Any other suggestions I can try to get the firmware to successfully update? It is doing this for both the HS200 switch and the HS103 plug.

Thanks!

Options
8 Reply
Re:HS200 switch Firmware Update Fail
2023-02-17 17:54:51

@Misha0926,

Since its two separate models, it is most likely a network setting. But you may still try factory resetting the device, deleting it from your list of Kasa devices, and then setting up the device again. When the device is factory reset and added to your account it will automatically check for, and update its firmware.

If it seems that the device can't communicate with the TP-Link servers, you may try to change the DNS server that you are using on your Home Network. When our Wi-Fi routers are unable to see firmware updates, this is the recommended solution, as it completely changes the way the traffic is routed to and from your home.

What type of router are you using, and who is your ISP?

Options
2023-02-17 20:51:32

@Riley_S 

Hi, thanks for responding! I have the Google Mesh home network and Spectrum internet. The interesting thing is that one plug and one switch have updated but all the rest refuse. I can do a factory reset on them but would hate to do it on so many switches. Because it is the Google Mesh system, they try to dummy proof everything and don't give you easy access to change DNS options. I had to do a custom DNS in order to get it to work with my current ISP. 

Options
2023-02-17 22:24:58

@Misha0926,

I have a feeling that there may be a firewall setting on your router that may be interfering with the update process. I am relatively unfamiliar with the interface for Google Mesh networks, but there should be a way to temporarily remove the firewall or prevent the router from blocking connections it THINKS is unsafe. It looks like there may be some settings related to a Nest Wi-Fi service that may be causing the failure. 

We do have a manual update process that our live support can help you complete if you seem not to be able to update at all; however, this is a relatively complex process and is not usually recommended due to the complexity.

On a side note, you may have something else going on with your network, as you should not have needed to change the DNS server for the router to work with your ISP, especially a Google Network, which should have provided you with the normally recommended 8.8.8.8 address. Usually, we recommend changing away from your ISPs DNS to a common service, as the ISP DNS servers can sometimes have routing issues and prevent your ISP from easily identifying your traffic.

You may want to check, while still painful, if your devices can receive the update if you perform a soft reset and only reconnect the device to your network. This way at least you would not need to rename and sort all your devices if it allows the update to proceed.

Options
2023-02-17 23:06:44

@Riley_S  thanks. I was on the 8.8.8.8 and my ISP blocked everything for some reason. I spent hours with Google tech support to get the DNS they gave me that got the system to work. I did try the soft reset with one switch and it did not update the firmware. It removed it from the ap when it did that, so I know that also doesn't get it to update. Not sure, but I will keep trying!

Thank you!

Options
2023-02-18 00:09:33

@Misha0926 

Make sure you try to add the device again after a soft reset. The app should detect that this is a preconfigured device and offer you the option to use the settings that were previously used.

Ill have a check with our team to see if anyone here may be able to come up with a reason that a default DNS server would not work, especially probably the most common DNS service available.

Options
2023-02-28 01:36:58

@Riley_S  Hi. Update for you. I did a reset and told it to remove all prior info and add the device new. It did this and said there was new firmware to download I clicked to download and the download failed. Not sure why I can't get it to work? It was successful for one HS200 and will not update the other 6. I also tried changing the Google to 8.8.8.8 and it still failed. Any other thoughts?

Options
2023-02-28 01:46:30

@Misha0926,

I have had this happen to my devices before when they are set up. Check to see if you can update the firmware through the account page and double-check the firmware of the devices you are using; it is possible that they were either updated in the factory to a newer version, or have already received an update.

If your wireless network has an IoT or guest network, try setting the device up here and seeing if the device will accept the update. It is possible that there is feature on your system that is preventing the cloud connection. and the interfering features are not normally added to the guest network settings.

I am not positive on how the firmware is delivered to the device, so it may be worth seeing if the devices will update when you check from another device's app; if the firmware is delivered through your phone, it could be that the device is losing the connection to your phone due to a local network device access or private addressing setting. 

Options
2023-02-28 10:49:41

@Riley_S  what do you mean by the account page? Is there a web portal I can use instead of my phone app? The way I have been trying to update the firmware, and only way I can get to it, is through the Kasa app selecting "me" on the bottom right and then doing the update there. I can't update by going to the device and checking the firmware version.

I checked the firmware and the ones that are failing all sayy version 1.0.2. the 2 that updated say version 1.0.9.

I'll try the guest network next.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 702

Replies: 8

Tags

Firmware
Related Articles