Kasa HS220 dimmer and 8 bulb candelabra - flickering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-23 04:43:24
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an 8 bulb E12 candelabra bulb chandelier, which was working fine on a regular switch.  I tried changing to a Kasa HS220 Dimmer and I either get flickering, solid but no ability to turn off, or completely off depending on  which brand of bulb and how many bulbs are screwed in.

I also tried the HS200 and same problem.   With the HS220 and one bulb or two bulbs screwed in it was ON but no ability to turn off.   Screwed in third bulb and it flickers.  Fourth bulb and it all turns off.

Second brand of bulbs has similar issues although not exactly the same  (flickers on 1 bulb  off if i add more and then it doesn't even go back on if i unscrew the 2nd bulb.

I tried a third brand and it didn't work at all.

All LED bulbs, but they worked fine before i installed the Kasa switch.

All of these bulbs claim to be dimmable.  All of these bulbs are at or below the 60 watt max indicated by the chandelier's fine print and it doesnt seem like i can possibly be reaching the max load for the switch.

Whats going on?  Is there a brand of dimmable candelabra type B  LED bulbs that is proven to work with the kasa HS220 or HS200?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Kasa HS220 dimmer and 8 bulb candelabra - flickering
2023-02-23 17:24:07

@gfinkler,

To start, while your bulbs or fixture may indicate that the bulbs are dimmable, they may not use the same dimming standard that TP-Link devices require. For a bulb to be compatible, it must be "Leading Edge Dimming / Triac Phase Cut"

I do recall another user with a similar case, and it ended up being that their fixture had an RF module installed, so a remote could be bought separately to control the light. It ended up being that the RF receiver was actually interfering with the current and would not let the bulbs dim. You may want to check the specifications for both your bulbs and your fixture to confirm whether or not they support the correct dimming type and to confirm that there is no hardware on the fixture that may be interfering with the dimming signal.

Options
Re:Kasa HS220 dimmer and 8 bulb candelabra - flickering
2023-02-23 17:50:24

@Riley_S Thank you, this is helpful.  I will try ordering some bulbs that specifically mention Triac compatability.  I don't think its the RF issue, though I suppose you never know...   

This is the chandelier  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B76Q362T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

and these are the bulbs I was trying: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YD3X8N1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far this is the only candelabra bulb I found on amazon that specifically mentions it "works well with most Triac dimmers"  

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Dimmable-Candelabra-Equivalent-Chandelier/dp/B08HCFHFHR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3R8T1T0C6H5QM&keywords=e12%2Bled%2Btriac&qid=1677174002&s=hi&sprefix=e12%2Bled%2Btriac%2Ctools%2C63&sr=1-5&th=1

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 293

Replies: 2

Related Articles