RFC: Option to update firmware on demand if new firmware is available.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-06 18:41:23
Model: EP10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hello! I just found out that in order to update the firmware of a device, I have to first remove it from Kasa App and then re-add it. It then asks to update the firmware. Duhhhh/.!  Therefore I am requesting for a change in the Kasa System to have the app check for new firmware for a device and offer to update it. Instead of a remove and re-add.l  Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:RFC: Option to update firmware on demand if new firmware is available.
2023-03-06 19:27:37

@firefox111 

Where did you hear that?  It's not true.  All you need to do is tap on "Me" and then tap on "firmware update".  That is all you need to do.  If a firmware is available then it will be listed here.  

It is true that the installation process will automatically look for a new firmware but its not necessary to uninstall and reinstall to update firmware. 

Options
2023-03-06 19:58:24

@Carl Well, I did NOT expect that device update request would be found in "Me"! Weird placement of device option! Kasa App needs improvement - like being able to manage multiple locations in the app, with locations located in different geographic locations and time zones! 

Options
2023-03-07 17:17:46

@firefox111 

"Me" is a recent change that happen in when Kasa 3.0 launched.  It used to be "3-bars" in the upper left section of the Device screen.  It was moved to a button on any screen and changed to "Me" which indicates App settings, which includes Firmware and time settings and "works with".  

As for multiple locations, that was also a recent addition to the app.  You just have to use the new Homes feature.  You can learn more here 

Options
2023-03-08 01:03:12 - last edited 2023-03-09 13:40:03

@firefox111    @firefox111 That "Home" setting of the new version of the app STILL needs improvement.  Time Zone is still absent.  For homes that are in different time zones, the local time is important to schedules of devices in the respective "home"! Without the local time zone of the devices in that "home", devices will be turning on earlier or later.  It seems like the app takes the current local time zone of the mobile device and attach that acquired time zone to the device(s) added to the app, AND, attaches it to the "Home" configured in the App.  Later, when another home is added, the time zone that was previously acquired by the app is used for the newly added home!  Bad!

Options
2023-06-24 15:27:14

Hello!  Is there an update to Kasa's ability to manage multiple location with necessary time zone (with DST changes) for each location? One location in Taiwan and one location in the USA Midwest?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 414

Replies: 5