Want to use a Smart Switch to control a Switched Outlet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-03 06:18:25 - last edited 2023-04-03 19:36:49
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have a Switched outlet that at times, is kind of a pain to reach.

My hope was to use a Smart Switch so that I could manually flip it on or use Alexa.

The outlet has a lamp plugged into it and an always-hot one.

Disclaimer: electrical newbie here, swapped out various receptacles, ceiling fans, lights, etc. but all without understanding the actual electrical mechanics...

I opened up the existing switch and was surprised to see a black and red going to the switch as I expected Black and White.  But then I realized, oh right, this isn't just a simple one-way switch due to the always-hot outlet.

In the back are Neutrals in a Wire nut and even a Ground if I remember correctly.

Is there a Kasa Switch that will work in this instance?  I have a few HS200s and some other ones as well.

Or will a Smart OUTLET be a better option?  If so, will it still work with a plain jane Wall Switch?

tks,

Ty

Options
3 Reply
Re:Want to use a Smart Switch to control a Switched Outlet
2023-04-03 19:40:24

@Rainbird,

I believe that you should have no problem configuring a regular switch for this connection, as long as all the required connections are available in the wall box. I do believe that the always on is wired separately from the switch but I am not 100% positive. I believe that I had once bypassed a switch that was controlling the outlet so that we could use the entire outlet normally.

Depending on how much you use the actual switch function, you may actually look at forcing both outlets to always on and wiring something like a KP200 to replace the outlet itself, then the outlet can be controlled with smart actions, alexa, smart things buttons, etc.

Options
2023-04-03 19:59:39

@Riley_S 

Hi Riley,

Riley_S wrote

@Rainbird,

I believe that you should have no problem configuring a regular switch for this connection, as long as all the required connections are available in the wall box. I do believe that the always on is wired separately from the switch but I am not 100% positive. I believe that I had once bypassed a switch that was controlling the outlet so that we could use the entire outlet normally.

Depending on how much you use the actual switch function, you may actually look at forcing both outlets to always on and wiring something like a KP200 to replace the outlet itself, then the outlet can be controlled with smart actions, alexa, smart things buttons, etc.

By "regular switch" you mean leave my current plain switch and use a KP200?

That would allow me to use the old switch to turn on one of the KP200's outlet while the other remain always hot?

tks again!

Ty

Options
2023-04-03 21:33:31

@Rainbird,

Sorry I meant either-or, 

Use either a Smart Switch in its current wiring configuration to control one outlet; or bypass the switch and use a Smart Outlet when both outlets are hot.

The KP200 needs to be powered all the time as the device will manage the difference in outlets; so you will need only one set of always hot wires feeding the outlet - effectively eliminating the switch entirely.

Everything will honestly be dependent on what is going on behind the outlet and how the two are actually wired together, as switches are only compatible with Single Pole-Single Throw Lines.

All a Smart Switch Will Do, if in a normal configuration, is cut the power feeding the outlet through it - in your case, the one outlet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 781

Replies: 3

Related Articles