Changed Router - lost connection on all devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-03 17:06:36

changed router and network name.

all plugs, cameras, switches all off line.

Is there a way to do a network/password change on all devices through phone app?

or do I have to restart each device from scratch ?

thanks for any help

Options
5 Reply
Re:Changed Router - lost connection on all devices
2023-04-03 22:22:39

@Windgate,

Unfortunately, the devices require an active Wi-Fi connection to receive any changes in settings. 

The switches do offer a soft reset meant for this situation which will simply reset the network settings for the device while keeping any other settings that you may have configured, such as the device name, room, schedules, or automations.

The soft reset is typically performed by holding the button for half as long as it takes for a factory reset of the device. This will allow the device to be seen by the Kasa App, where the app will offer to keep your settings and change the wireless network. I would recommend doing the reset one device at a time, so that you can be sure that the setup periods do not end and so that there will only be one default SSID being broadcast at a time.

Options
2023-04-03 23:01:07

Hi Riley, thanks for the tip. Earlier, I fixed all the plugs by doing a factory reset with the button. Then did an 'add device' and went through the process. Within the app process, you should reset the device. Finally, when you rename the device it removes the prior name you gave the device, so that eliminates the previous device and name in your app list. I'm still working on a doorbell and 3 cameras with this technique (has not worked, I think because its more difficult to do a factory reset)

tomorrow is a new day !!          GO AZTECS !!!

TKwinklaugh

Options
2023-04-04 01:01:31

@Windgate,

Take a shot at the soft reset process if you can, it will basically be the same process but instead of being presented with the option to give the device a name, it will provide an option to use the pre-existing settings. 

If you are having issues reconnecting the devices, you may try going through the normal steps of trying to connect the device to a 2.4Ghz network, such as a guest or IoT network.

Options
2023-04-04 19:35:33

@Windgate Thanks, Riley. I have all the plugs reconnected, but no luck with cameras. They don't have a reset button and just do not get seen by the phone app when I try to connect. I suspect the doorbell and wall switch have an actual reset button, but its under the cover/plate....I'll get there...any tips on cameras ???

Thanks, Ted

Options
2023-04-04 23:30:07

@Windgate,

What type of cameras are you using? If you have a pan tilt, the reset button is on the inner section of the camera and may require you to manually move the camera to see it. Here's an FAQ that may better explain where the buttons can be found: Resetting a TP-Link Kasa Camera

Fortunately, that FAQ actually shows where the reset is on all Kasa cameras, including the doorbell - but you are correct, the reset for the doorbell is behind the plate.

The Wall Switch should actually have a Reset Button on the Front of the Switch below the paddle, at least for most variations. There should be two buttons that can be pressed, one is the reset that requires a hold, and the other is a restart - as wall switches cannot be restarted without flipping the breaker.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 441

Replies: 5