KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring

2023-04-12 00:22:15 - last edited 2023-04-19 22:01:54

KP125M: Kasa's first Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ New Energy Monitoring Features

97399a4822544fde857210daadf1e427We are excited to announce the introduction of the Matter Protocol into our line of Kasa Smart devices, starting with the KP125M. This marks a significant milestone for us, as we aim to provide you with new products and major features updates over the coming months.

Kasa’s First Matter-Compatible Device Is Available on Amazon Today! OR

Read More about the KP125M on the Official Product Page

Please Note: The new Energy Monitoring feature is currently only available for the KP125M. To ensure that you can access this feature, please make sure that your device is using the latest firmware and that your app is up-to-date. 

Energy Monitoring:

Energy Usage:

The First Tab, Energy Usage, allows you to track the consumption of the device over the period of an hour. This will be the most accurate representation of how many kWh were consumed during the period.

To View the extended history of your energy usage you may scroll the chart to the previous period. Or,

You may use the Energy Calendar Feature to quickly get an overview for each day of the month.

dbeef5ffca95429f86227f1fd9591b48

Power Consumption / Usage:7e41feb815be48dc86cff9094f63c4fc

The next tab introduced is the Device’s Power Consumption, which is distinct from energy usage because it reflects the constantly changing power requirements of the device. If you have devices that consume varying amounts of energy based on their settings, the power consumption tab may be more useful to you.

When you access the Power tab in the menu, all values are presented as average power consumption over the selected time period.

Billing Settings:

On the Bill Settings page, you can adjust the cost per kilowatt-hour (kWh) charged by your utility company. This enables you to more accurately pinpoint any devices contributing to higher energy bills during specific periods.9b54cd6a25a749bb8fdddb2c4562eeef

Billing Type:

Depending on your utility plan, you may pay a flat rate for your energy, or your rates may change depending on the time of day or season.

ad8ff5bda1eb41819caead1f1b50b0a8

Seasonal Scheduling:

The Kasa app offers two separate sets of schedules to accommodate any rate changes from your ISP.

You may set two Schedules, Summer and Winter, with customized energy usage rates, date ranges, and time-of-use settings.

Data Exports:

You can now generate an export file for both the energy usage and power consumption of a device. To do so, access the upper right menu and select the Export All Data option. 

387b7110555645c79754d3811451c41844584423d8594551b521ca4994509698

Once you have selected the Export option, the exported data will be sent to the email address you specified in the form of two separate CSV files. The first file will summarize the energy usage in kilowatt-hours (kWh), with hourly divisions. The second file will provide the power consumption data, which will be divided into 5-minute intervals. 

Energy Calendar:

With the Energy Calendar feature, you can identify the days when your devices consumed the most energy, track your monthly energy usage, and view the associated costs based on the schedules and rates you have configured.

You can access the Energy Calendar anytime by clicking on the calendar icon located in the top right corner of the screen.

Time-Of-Use and Peak Hours:2515eeede42c43fcbbbd214963dbdb80

On the Bill Settings screen, you can set up both the hourly schedule for peak hours and the price per kilowatt-hour (kWh) charged by your utility company. To adjust the rates, you can access the Billing Overview screen.

The Left Column Provides Options to Configure the Peak Hours of Weekdays

The Right Column Provides Options to Configure the Peak Hours of Weekends

In Hourly Increments, you may select whether that hour will calculate your energy usage for that hour using the Off-Peak, Mid-Peak, or Peak Rates set on the previous screen.

As this is the first device to receive the feature, our team welcomes any feedback or ideas for improvements to the feature. Please feel free to let us know in the comments below. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
27 Reply
Re:KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring
2023-04-21 17:23:05

@Riley_S 

This is really encouraging!. Just one question: This announcement is about the KP125M. You folks sent me a Tapo P125M recently. Is this a different device? Either way, can my P125M bew updated to show the energy monitoring data discussed here?

Thanks! 

Options
Re:KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring
2023-04-21 18:02:28

@JCH2103,

The P125M is Tapo's First Matter Compatible Smart Plug

The KP125M is Kasa's First Matter Compatible Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring

When looking at any of our smart plugs, energy monitoring will be clearly stated as a feature of the model, normally even in the product title. Tapo's P125M is a simple smart plug that does not support energy monitoring - while Kasa's KP125M was built to support energy monitoring at a hardware level.

The Tapo app has actually already received an update with similar features for compatible energy-monitoring devices. We still have plenty more matter-compatible devices in the works, so make sure to keep checking for new releases.

When looking to buy Smart Plugs with Energy Monitoring - Be advised that there is a difference between Usage and Energy Monitoring. Usage will only track the on/off state of the device, while energy monitoring will track the energy passing through the device.

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2023-04-21 22:22:49

@Riley_S

Will the cost estimation feature trickle down to previous products like the HS300 power strip? Not sure why it doesn't calculate the cost, like my other smart plugs from other manufacturers, it has all the other engergy monitoring details (current power, total consumption kwh etc.) doesn't make sense.

Options
2023-04-22 00:52:25

@hpp8140,

I would assume that many of these features will begin to work their way through our product lines, but I cannot know for sure. As this is the only device from Kasa to support the new feature this week and the feature was only added last week, we may learn more the development in the coming weeks. I am just as keen to get these features on my existing devices, so I will provide an update when I hear more from our teams.

It is worth noting that the energy monitoring features were included in the patch notes for the last firmware update to the KP125M, so we may learn about compatibility through the patch notes of firmware updates for existing devices.

Options
2023-04-22 19:14:02

@Riley_S 

Thank you for the clarification about product names and capabilities; that's helpful. 

More questions:

2. How much data does the KP125M store? To put it another way, how often does the app have to be used to get continuous usage data? Let me know if this question isn't clear. 

3. Are there plans to unify the Kasa and Tapo apps? It seems odd to have to use two apps to work with what seem to be two simlar sets of devices. 

Thanks. 

Options
2023-04-26 16:56:33

@JCH2103,

I believe that the energy data is stored at a cloud level, rather than on the device. I also feel that I may have seen mention that the data export may be limited to a 2 year period, which makes sense since the exports are stored in 5 minute intervals, but I think that this may be limited to exports and not viewing the data.

As for your continuous question: I do not believe that there is any 'cache' of sorts for the energy usage on the device, meaning that it does require a consistent connection to store and track the data. I will try to confirm this as this is simply what our team has observed from our own use.

As for integration of Kasa and Tapo, currently, we have not heard of any concrete plans to unify the smart home brands. This is feedback that we have previously received and I can assure you that our development team has been looking at possible solutions it. While the brands appear similar, their technologies, goals, and future product lines are planned to look different or already are. Unfortunately, this means that there is far more for the developers to consider than just the devices and features that have been already released. If we hear anything, I will make sure to share this with the entire community.

Options
2023-05-01 20:23:03

@Riley_S 

I had a chance for a quick exploration of data export from the KP125M. The Daily export gives (average, I think) data on 5-minute increments, but the Week data is on 1-hour increments. Unless there's a workaround, that suggests the need to export data daily if continuous 5-minute data is needed, or weekly if continuous 1-hour data is sufficient. 

Options
2023-05-01 22:17:01

@JCH2103,

I will check myself later, but make sure that you are checking the same attached file both times. I believe that each time you have an export, one of the files will be 5 minutes, while the other will be for an hour

Options
2023-05-01 23:04:01
Yes, if I click the Power tab in the app and Export All Data, the export produces and emails me two Excel files, Energy Usage.xls and Power.xls. Power.xls has two tabs: a Day (24 hours @ 5-minute interval) and a Week (7 days @1-hour interval). I don't see a simple way to get 5-minute exports for more than one day, or 1-hour exports for more than a week. I took a quick look at the Energy Usage.xls file; it has Day, Month and Year tabs. Day is 24 hours at 1-hour intervals; Month is a month at daily intervals; Year is apparently a year at monthly intervals. Haven't looked too closely at the Energy Usage.xls file otherwise.
Options
2023-05-02 18:45:15

@JCH2103,

Thanks for the information, we are looking into the exports to see what is given and I will try to provide a full summary of how to get each interval in the coming weeks. We have also fed the information back to our team that this is something that we would like to see as a scheduled option or that it would be useful to be able to change the intervals. 

From talking with our product testing team, it sounds like the energy data may actually be stored on the device rather than the cloud, so the data is limited by what the device can store in its internal memory.

Options