KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring

KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring

27 Reply
Re:KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring
2023-05-02 19:36:41

@Riley_S 

Thanks. Scheduled data save operations or options to change the data interval would be useful. I suspect the data storage limit is programmed into the app, as I have a 128GB Pixel 6 that the app doesn't seem to take advantage of (I can understand why, for support reasons). 

Options
Re:KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring
2023-09-02 15:51:25

@Riley_S 

Could Kasa create a trigger so that a routine could be set up when the device's power consumption, or rather the appliance plugged into it, reached 0?   Perhaps even be able to set a range of power consumption for those appliances that draw power even when not in use.

Options
2023-11-26 16:30:12

@Riley_S Any chance that Kasa will publish the previous energy monitoring protocol as well, so devices like Sense can pick up the KP125M?

Options
2023-11-27 18:25:08

@GoneSailing,

If you are asking whether the energy monitoring is brought to the matter connection of the KP125M, that is dependent on how the matter protocol is updated over the coming months. I believe that the Matter protocol either does not yet support energy monitoring or if it does, it was only just added.

Options
2023-11-27 18:35:11

@Kazuntheight,

I know that we are looking at a few future updates to the smart action platform, so I will make sure that this request is forwarded - I definitely see how useful this is for automating your home. One thing to consider from my own personal experiences is the fact that the power draw of devices is not consistent so it can be difficult to create reliable automations - even large devices such as washers will appear to some smart plugs as consuming zero power between cycles.

Options
2023-11-27 22:44:49

@Riley_S I'm wondering if the new matter plugs will maintain the energy data stream from the old plugs. I have a bunch of the old plugs, and they're streaming data to Sense. I'd prefer to add the Matter ones for switch control, AND still get the energy data stream that works with Sense. I'm not sure why Kasa changed the energy monitoring data stream?

Options
2023-11-27 23:29:04

@GoneSailing,

Just guessing, but I would be willing to bet that whatever caused the monitoring to stop working was a result of matter preparation or the integration to the Tapo app.

As far as I know, the energy monitoring data is still available, it just depends on the developers of that integration to accommodate the change - you may be able to find a better answer from sense, since it is not an officially supported integration.

Options
2023-11-27 23:30:49

@Riley_S Thank you for looking after this. I'm sure other users will also be very interested in getting energy monitoring working via Matter. 

Options
2023-11-27 23:37:05

@JCH2103,

I am definitely keeping up with the protocol and am working to test protocol in my own smart home. The CSA just released Matter 1.2 but news of energy monitoring being added will likely be mentioned on their official blog: https://csa-iot.org/newsroom/category/blog/

Options
2023-11-27 23:50:34
I’m not sure why Kasa can’t keep sending the original protocol, and add the new protocol. It isn’t tons of data.
Options