KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring

KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring

27 Reply
Re:KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring
2023-11-27 23:52:13

@Riley_S It's a good sign that someone working for a company is an actual user of the products.

One technical note about the KP125M: The Kasa app properly shows power use attached to the plug. However, when I tried using the Tapo app again today, it initially didn't show power use until after I had run the Kasa app for that same plug. It's possible there was just a delay in the Tapo app retrieving the data, rather than an issue with the app. I have no idea if this is at all related to issues with data over Matter. 

Options
Re:KP125M: Kasa's First Matter-Compatible Smart Plug w/ Improved Energy Monitoring
2023-11-28 01:18:36

@JCH2103,

You could likely create a new thread with this behavior tbh.

Was the device setup via the Tapo App, or via the Kasa App and then integrated to Tapo?

I believe that the energy data is stored locally on the plug so it may have needed that initial kick to connect and communicate with the cloud, but I will look into how this data actually flows into the Tapo app.

From what I can tell, there is a difference in the devices and a Kasa device doesn't suddenly become a Tapo device in every aspect - I am currently experimenting with Voice Assitant Integrations right now.

When it comes to anything energy monitoring right now, it will be in relation to our own platforms. Once Matter adds support for the feature, a firmware update would be needed to add this functionality.

Options
2023-12-06 23:40:31

@Riley_S I'm currently doing a project at our complex to look at energy use of various Christmas light installations here. The KP125M is a useful tool for this (currently working with the Kasa app). I'm using a set of 4 KP125M outlets configured as a separate 'residence' from outlets in my apartment. Because all of the lights have contant consumption (except for control via timers), I'm swapping in the outlets for long enough to get reliable measurements, then changing to different installations. 

I find that the Kasa software has limitations for this kind of project, or more generally for collecting data from multiple smart plugs. It would be helpful if the Kasa app could download data for all devices in a single 'residence' at once (or possibly using additional criterai) instead of having to do a download for each outlet. 

I'm looking forward to improved Matter integration, working with a platform like Home Assistant, which might make this simpler. Is another method available for this kind of bulk data download?

Options
2023-12-07 19:01:11

@JCH2103,

I do not believe so. The ability to export the energy data was actually added when the KP125M released originally. I will make sure that I request this feature now that everyone is beginning to add more energy monitoring plugs to their homes.

If I am not mistaken, the energy monitoring values are actually stored on the plug itself, not in the cloud. It may be that the current process communicates directly with the plug to compile the data for the export, rather than simply pulling a report from the cloud.

For the KP125M and Home Assistant, I was only personally able to test the matter functionality - which doesn't yet support energy monitoring. I notice that on the HA integrations page the KP125M is not listed as compatible via the normal Kasa integration. Do you happen to have any more information about the limitations of this, such as if the device cannot be controlled at all, or if the basic on/off functionality is still available via the Kasa integration? 

Options
2023-12-07 19:14:39

@Riley_S Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure that as more folks get energy monitoring smart plugs, there'll be more interest in how this feature can be used. 

Re Matter integration w/ Home Assistant, I know very little about plans for integrating this with energy monitoring. I have the Matter integration installed in Home Assistant (latest update), but it's not functional for me yet. It seems to have promise, but it may take a while to see results. 

Options
2023-12-07 19:20:37

@JCH2103 ps - See https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2023/12/04/nabu-casa-at-the-matter-member-meeting/ Looks like the Eve Energy Plug has early support for energy metering with Matter, although I don't know what that means in practice.  

Options
2023-12-07 19:33:39

@JCH2103,

I saw this article come through earlier :) 
Thanks for the link, I am literally already in conversations with our product and QA team about some of the contents of the article :)

Clusters are like the building blocks of the commands, almost like attributes - this exists for other mesh IoT systems like Z-Wave and Zigbee.If you have a Zigbee network, you can actually alter and set these up from the WebUI.

From the sounds of the article, it is a homebrew version of energy support, and would be extremely specific to Home Assistant. I would imagine that our teams would be more likely to develop for the standard rather than a platform, but I will see what I can dig up.

I will mention that CES is right around the corner, and our team will be in attendance. I will make sure that the entire community is aware of our announcements and any announcements from others that could impact your devices.

Options