KS200M will not stay on with manual on after new firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-14 14:06:57
Model: KS220M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

before new firmware, when I manually turn it on, it will stay on. but after the new firmware, it will not.

Please help.

Options
7 Reply
Re:KS200M will not stay on with manual on after new firmware update
2023-06-14 16:53:38

@AnsonPai,

I would make sure that you did not accidentally configure a smart action, schedule, or away mode for the device; or that the feature was not accidentally enabled with the firmware update. 

As you have a motion-sensing switch, I would also recommend looking at the motion triggers for the switch as there are options in the device settings to automatically turn off the device after a set of conditions is met, such as a lack of motion, or the brightness of the room.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2023-06-15 12:43:37

@Riley_S 

Thanks! After turn off the smart control, it stays on after I manually turn it on. But the problem is the motion trigger will not work.

Before the firmware upgrade, motion trigger worked, and if manually turn it off and then quickly turn it on, it stays on until I turn it off, this is very useful to me because some time I work in the corner of my garage.

Options
2023-06-15 18:30:32

@AnsonPai,

I would defintely double check that you have the Smart Control configured correctly, as there is a specific setting to turn the light off manually only and a setting to turn off when no motion is detected. Also, make sure that you have set the correct time period for the Smart Control:

ec099384e1c647e794ebe2d2b7a9c866

Under the Triggers, there is an option for Motion + Darkness, so make sure that this is not selected as it may be preventing the light from activating on motion.

Lastly, there is a manual offer buffer that you can set in the app, if this is set too high, the motion sensor will wait X seconds before triggering based on motion.

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2023-06-27 23:19:38

@AnsonPai Looks to me like they got rid of this option with the firmware 1.0.11.  I also relied on the ability to have the switch turn the lights on when it detected motion and turn them off after motion was no longer detected AND the ability to turn the lights on manually at the switch if I wanted the lights to remain on until I turned them off manually.  This manual option worked before the firmware update and did NOT work after the firmware update. And, the instructions that are being given by TP-Link personnel in this forum regarding using so-called "Smart Control" setting does NOT return this feature.  Using Smart Control to restore this Manual Off feature requires that you turn off the motion off feature, so you can have either one or the other, but not both. I contacted tp-link directly about this and they gave me the same run-around regarding Smart Control and they asked me if it stayed on if I used the app to turn the light on (shouldn't they know the answer, and btw the answer is NO, if motion sensing is on for turning the light off, the light will turn off anytime no motion is sensed, regardless of how the light was initially turned on).

Options
2023-06-28 00:45:04

@Osugrad Thank you so much! This is the exact issue I have, I am really regret to upgrade the firmware, seems no way to downgrade back.

Options
2023-07-01 16:07:09

@AnsonPai 

Hi, please see https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/604644?replyId=1222064.  On that chat, TP-Link admitted that they removed this functionality with their firmware "update" and now say that it is "unreasonable" to expect this functionality. 

Options
2023-07-05 16:31:32

@Osugrad,

I don't think that its unreasonable, more so that this was not within its original design and planned operation and was likely the result of an action not firing due to an error. The update most likely increased the stability and performance of the switch which unintentionally removed the "feature"

I have been feeding your feedback to our teams that this type of action is needed for motion switches in the future. Only time will tell whether or not your use is added to the official design of the product in a future firmware update.

I would recommend creating a feature request so that our team can more easily gather the feedback and users supporting the feature. The more users that we can point our engineers towards, the better.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 7

Related Articles