Presence Sensor (MM Wave?) Battery Powered

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-22 00:46:29

I have several motion sensors and other type sensors that are in need of updating and replacing, and i am very interested in and impressed by the Aqara FP2 but i need the option for it to be fully wireless, battery powered. i have other devices which are either / or, battery or USB C, and i feel like this is the smartest way to go about it. again, i am seriously invested into the kasa ecosystem already, and with good reason. id like to remain as unified as i can. this would help, but the device would need to be as robust and capable as the FP2 and have the battery powered option. please.

P.S. the prohibition on links is pretty stupid. i was attempting to make it easier on you the support team by posting the link to their tech specs doc. anyone who is interested in buying the device can just type in "Aqara FP2" and get the amazon link.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Presence Sensor (MM Wave?) Battery Powered
2023-06-23 17:55:55

@PaLaCasa599,

We had an issue with Spam Posts when we allowed links from all users. Our team is currently working on ways of allowing active users to post links and we are currently creating a whitelist of allowed links - so don't worry, things ARE changing in that regard.

As for the product request, you may want to take a look at Tapo's series of Sub-GHz devices as these are essentially the same as the Aqara Hub. Currently, the Tapo Hub is limited to controlling devices in the Tapo app, but our teams are looking at other options of connectivity for the hub and Sub-GHz devices. In fact, our Matter Spotlight page was recently updated to include the hub and sensors as planned to support the matter protocol.

While the Sub-GHz range of devices is limited to a few sensors, such as motion and contact sensors - I will pass the feedback along that a designated Presence Sensor would be appreciated, especially for automating your lights based on whether or not someone is in the room.

What specific features are you looking to use so that I can include them in the request to the team?

Options
2023-07-31 23:09:25

@Riley_S sorry boss, i wasnt watching this one for replies... 

what i really like: the ability to set up multiple zones on one device to activate and deactivate things. for example, i have one that covers the open area that oncludes the living / dining / entry of the house. if someone sits on the couch itll send a message to the LR control tablet offering to turn on the audio video setup. if the light sensor reads less than 25 lux itll automatically turn on lights when entering a zone and turn them off when exiting the zone. the zones need to be able to overlap. this has proven far more important than i wouold have ever guessed. and of course the fact that its a MM wave and not a PIR means that things dont turn off every 10 minutes, and i dont have to wait 10 minutes for things to turn off when i do leave. the range is pretty great. about 46 feet. and im still figuring out new ways to trigger new automations.

what i do not like: cord required. i like the option  of corded operation. but i dont want to have to have a cord. it would be great to have a battery powered option, even if the battery required is a CR123 or even rechargable. but id like to have both options, since it really doesnt add much cost to a battery powered device to include a usb c plug also. neither do i like the awkward leg thing that aqara included on the FP2. i understand why they did what they did, but it really just makes the device more difficult to use. some sort of a ball joint type of mount maybe? definitely maintain the magnetic option and the metal plate. thats awesome and becoming fairly common. lastly, the zone builder / editer has what i would call some silly shortcomings. i can mark an exit, but when the sensor sees me leave thru a marked exit, it doesnt mark the zone as clear. i have to create another zone for that as i pass out of the doorway. this is an issue because there are only 6 zones per device and i was using half of them to mark the exits. until i figured out that i could just use one zone and mark all the exits. still, the exits should do that without taking up a zone in my opinion. otherwise whats the point?

Im sure theres more, but those will suffice to get started for now. Thanks for reading my novel.

Options
2023-08-03 16:26:37

@PaLaCasa599,

Thanks for the added information. I have been bringing your recommendation to our team and we are all very intrigued to see how well their implementation works. Hopefully, once the current lineup of Sub-GHz devices is launched, we will see additions such as this.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that it would reasonable to have a mmwave sensor powered via battery as it requires constant monitoring using a higher wavelength. PIR sensors are different in that they "wake up" when the sensor goes off and then broadcasts - I believe the mmwave sensor requires constant power to use the sensor and cannot be "awoken" the same way.

Options
2023-08-03 19:57:45

@Riley_S yeah, i definitely understand the difference in how they operate and the ability to enter power save / sleep mode for PIR devices. And i have been trying to measure the actual power draw of the unit(s) i currently have, and have as yet been unsuccessful because i dont want to resort to destructive testing, and i dont seem to have a device which will only supply and or measure the power which is required by the unit. since it requires a USB blister of some sort, and they all draw more than the device is actually using. so i dont get anything near an accurate gague of its consumption. i have however had battery powered active scanning PIR / microwave devices in my home which use 2 x CR123a batteries, and those have lasted as long as 5 years. Those are what im looking to replace, btw. i wouldnt necessarily expect that the same batteries would last 5 years in this sort of device, but id really like to know what the actual draw is for a device like we are discussing, and what the battery requirements would actually be. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1064

Replies: 4

Related Articles